Samsung ‘Galaxy Glass’ Google Glass Competitor Reported to Arrive in September

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,504
Points 1,196,940
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Jan 27 2014 11:54 AM
Samsung has never been shy about following marketing trends, whether it's building smartphones, serving up smart watches (Galaxy Gear), or in this case, filing a patent for eye-wear to compete with Google Glass. The version Samsung has in mind is called Galaxy Glass (no surprise there), and it will look and function similar to Google's head mounted display (HMD).

According to a report in The Korea Times, Samsung may launch Galaxy Glass as early as this year's IFA convention in Berlin.

Galaxy Glass Sketch

"The market potential for smart glass is huge. It will be used in trucks, cars, and has a greater impact on related industries such as glass- and coatings-makers," The Korea Times quotes a Samsung official as saying.

It will be interesting to see how the smart glass market develops in relation to smart watches, the latter of which haven't been the game changer that some mobile device makers perhaps though they would be. Samsung's Galaxy Gear, for example, is expensive at $300, and Apple has yet to release a smart watch as has been rumored on several occasions.

Meanwhile, there's been a lot of excitement around Google Glass, which Google may try to make commercially available in the second half of this year. As for Samsung's Galaxy Glass, it will be able to receive phone calls through speakers built into the frame and give users hands free control of their smartphone, among other things.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,044
Points 9,705
sevags replied on Mon, Jan 27 2014 12:56 PM

Smart watches are just not going to take off that was evident from the beginning. I have said it before that watches are just not popular anymore most people rely on their phones for the time. Those of us who wear watches (especially those of us who purchase more than just 1 wrist watch) purchase them as functioning fashion/art which smart watches are not, or we purchase cheap utilitarian watches for work. Very few people need to have constant access to their phones status especially when the watch costs more than the cellphone did on contract.

Head mounted displays will be more common as it promises more uses than a smart watch, and has the advantage of being something new that didn't exist before like a watch. However I see it a lot like 3D glasses for televisions, people just don't want to wear anything extra. I only started wearing sunglasses 2 years ago and it took me a while to get used to them but when there isn't any sun in my face I have to take them off as it bothers me on my face and reduces vision. Same with Glass I would love to play with one but can't see myself wearing one all day but if I am only going to put them on when I want to use it and take it off when I am done I might as well just pull my phone out of my pocket...

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 65
JLeBoeuf replied on Mon, Jan 27 2014 6:03 PM

next up hoverboards. you can do it google I have faith!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

hey all i need your help i sure you get plenty of request to join games but we really need you to join this one and our legion

Xeno Labs Wants you the first L7 Research base for Vygoid ,Zolazin and Aerlen Fixer, soon to be The highest point payout base in GL

http://apps.facebook.com/galaxylegion/loader.php?q=bGVnaW9uaW5mby5waHA%2FYWN0aW9uPXJlcXVlc3QmbGVnaW9uaWQ9NTAx

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS