Gmail Service Fails Worldwide, World Goes Nuts

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,175
Points 1,185,770
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Jan 24 2014 2:56 PM
You've probably noticed, Gmail is down. It's not just down for you - it's down across the US and the world, with reports coming in from Europe, Canada, and India that one of the planet's largest email networks has suddenly failed. The only thing missing is any information from Google. Ironically, Google's App dashboard was one of the last places to get the news; the website showed Google Mail as being up when I began writing this story, then flipped to "Disrupted" partway through.

Why? Who knows. Jokes about someone unplugging a server don't really apply, we're talking about a worldwide service with service in dozens of countries. Outages like this can be caused by anything from deliberate sabotage to stupid routing. Remember in 2008, when all requests to YouTube were accidentally sucked into a black hole after Pakistan decided to filter the video service? That sort of problem could be in play here.

Unfortunately, Googling the error codes (Temporary Error 500, Error Code 93) does not seem to provide any kind of useful information. If Google has ever clarified what an "Error Code 93" is, they haven't done it publicly.

The amusing thing is that, depending on how much of your productivity relies on Gmail, this is either a huge boon or a major problem. Falling into the latter category, I'm reduced to repeatedly refreshing the website, hoping the Google gods will grace us with a solution sooner, rather than later. It's always disquieting to find out just how much we rely on certain services for this kind of basic communication. It's not that I don't have other email accounts -- but without knowing whose been writing, I can't very well write them back. And without access to the address books that are baked into Gmail, I can't automatically pull their data to write them from a different location.

This sort of failure happens from time to time, most recently last fall, but that outage wasn't worlwide as this one is reported to be. Exactly how significant the failure is, or what caused it is still unknown; we'll update this post if more information becomes available.
  • | Post Points: 140
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

#firstworldproblems

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 35

this is KICKING MY ASS right now at work.....make this day END lol

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

my gmail is not down

Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 155

Hmmm... Gmail seems to be up and working just fine for me.

Not Ranked
Posts 21
Points 120

Wtf is gmail? :P

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 35

http://www.google.com/appsstatus#hl=en&v=status&ts=1390593951424

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 35

if people need updates

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,101
Points 11,165
CDeeter replied on Fri, Jan 24 2014 6:07 PM

Seems like it was very short lived problem for me. Only a few minutes, and then back to work.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,014
Points 9,480
sevags replied on Fri, Jan 24 2014 7:05 PM

It was short lived for me as well. My email was working at work just fine, an hour later I sit back down and the gmail serve was down, came back 20 minutes later and it was up again.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS