1.4Tbps Internet Speeds? BT And Alcatel-Lucent Say They've Done It

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,831
Points 1,168,515
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Jan 22 2014 2:29 PM
There’s really no other way to say it: BT and Alcatel-Lucent claim that they’ve reached Internet speeds of 1.4Tbps over an existing fiber connection. To be clear, that terabits, not gigabits; we’ve covered a good amount of news related to the latter lately because almost nobody has access to those kinds of speeds as it is.

So, yes, terabit Internet speeds. The companies conducted this field trial in the UK, using a fiber link between the BT Tower in London and the company’s Adastral Park research facility in Suffolk. The underlying technology is a flexible grid infrastructure called “Flexgrid” that ups the density of each transmission channel and varies the gaps between them. This ostensibly allows for up to 42.5% more data transmission efficiency.

fiber
(Credit: Wikipedia/Shuli Hallak)

The feat is incredible, and although this was just a trial, it’s astonishing that the team was able to accomplish such speeds. To put it in perspective, that sort of bandwidth would allow you to transmit 44 uncompressed HD movies in one second.

We can’t help but feel like we’re on the verge of a massive expansion of Internet capabilities. We’re seeing a lot of lab tests that portend speeds many times faster than anything most people have access to, and trials like this one by BT and Alcatel-Lucent are simply mind-blowing.

fiber
(Credit: Wikipedia/Bidgee)

It’s important to temper expectations, of course; lab speeds and trials are one thing, but real-world applications, infrastructure build-out, regulatory issues, and more are quite another, and all of the aforementioned require years of work.

Still, it’s getting easier to imagine a world where the current Internet speeds most of us can afford and have access to will be considered downright quaint, just as dial-up seems ancient to all the folks with broadband. And that’s an exciting future, indeed.
  • | Post Points: 170
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 35
SeanBlack replied on Wed, Jan 22 2014 3:15 PM

So if I cold at least get DOCSIS 3.0 speeds...that'd be great.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15

That's great maybe now BT can uncap my fibre

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
DJae replied on Wed, Jan 22 2014 3:15 PM

Cool, they can replace my line with that now that my 26mbps line does 3mbps max..

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 110

anyone else notice the black cap in the second picture says FAP? lol

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
OkendoOO replied on Wed, Jan 22 2014 7:02 PM

Jose Francisco Barrundia

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

shhhh 512kbs rules vos Okendo OO

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15

It means nothing if they can't get it in my home :(

Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 250
EzHunt replied on Wed, Jan 22 2014 9:19 PM

Well I have 50 mbps down and 35 up but few sites I up or download from have even 1/5 the speed. Steam max download at 7.2mbps the fastest I have ever got is when Defiance updates- that is over 26mbps. So having all the speed on earth means nothing if the other end does not and or is capped.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 167
Points 1,130

and when can they install this in my bathtub?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 522
Points 4,820

Since most sites cap the max bandwidth per user, really fast connections are for multi-tasking /multi-user situations.

On my current 50mbps I have never hit near its peak from a single site. However, just last night I was pulling a 3~4mbps from Steam (what Steam normally maxs for me), ~7mbps from Battle.net, a file download at 3.2mbps, a 1080p Youtube video, and my wife was watching Netflix on the TV. Not a hiccup to be seen.

In fact, going back though my last three ISPs (30, 50, and 50) that has been the situation. Sadly, each was worse then the last since my current maxes at 50, the one before now maxes at 90, and the one from nearly 7 years ago is 100 with 200 burst.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 45
BretHall replied on Fri, Jan 24 2014 3:11 AM

7MBps would be max for 50mbps on your connection Infinity (close to it at least).

I have 100mbps and get 14-15MBps from Steam; so I wonder why Steam doesn't give you full bandwidth -- mines does. Huh.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 522
Points 4,820

I got no idea what is up with Steam.  I never seem to pull more than 3~3.2 from them.  No problem from anyone else.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS