Dell Venue 8 Pro and Venue 8 Do Windows and Android

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,732
Points 1,209,245
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Jan 15 2014 1:01 PM

Dell Venue 8 Pro and Venue 8 Do Windows and AndroidDell has something for everyone with its Venue 8 tablets, which come in both Android and Windows 8.1 flavors. The Venue 8 is the Android-based model, while the Venue 8 Pro runs the full version of Windows 8.1. Dell isn’t the first to put Windows 8.1 in an 8-inch form factor, but the field is still relatively new and small, so the Venue 8 Pro has been getting a fair share of attention. We checked out both models to see how they compare to each other and their competition...

Dell Venue 8 Pro and Venue 8 Do Windows and Android

• | Post Points: 80
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

That's surprisingly affordable. Whoa

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,688
Points 55,890
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Wed, Jan 15 2014 3:04 PM

Agreed... these are solid devices for the dollar and I'm willing to be the 8 Pro will come down a touch over time.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 57
Points 450
basroil3 replied on Wed, Jan 15 2014 9:42 PM

Who would have figured that Windows 8 was a much more efficient OS than Android? The 15.5Wh battery in the Android tablet (using a 2.4W average processor) lasts half as much as the 18Wh battery in the Windows one (also 2.4W according to z3740 specs), making Windows 80% more efficient. Hurry-up-and-wait effect from the faster chip probably helped, but it still means that W8.1 is pretty impressive performance per watt wise.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 95
Points 760
HanyangXu replied on Thu, Jan 16 2014 9:08 AM

I recently dumped my old Nexus 7 2012 for a Venue 8 Pro. Having a Windows 8.1 tablet means there are quite a few apps that aren't available, but 100% working flash and MS Office preloaded completely makes up for it.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 175
basroil2 replied on Thu, Jan 16 2014 3:46 PM

Install bluestacks on it and you'll have all the android apps on top of the millions of applications (the big boy equivalent) that exist for Windows.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
WadeKempf replied on Thu, Feb 27 2014 2:23 PM

This looks awesome since it runs full Windows 8. One CON that I see and have read elsewhere is that with 1 USB port you can't connect a dock or peripheral and charge the Venue at the same time.

I'm not trying to Spam and I just thought I would share in case others have run into this same issue.

I found this link - http://kck.st/1fIi06H for a device that simply connects between your charger and tablet. The device lets you charge (at full rate) and gives you an extra USB port to connect a dock, hub, or whatever peripheral you want. Like I said, I'm not affiliated with this project or trying to Spam but it sure sounds like a good solution for the Venue 8's port shortcomings.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
WadeKempf replied on Sat, Mar 15 2014 7:56 PM

Full USB and Charging at the same time...

This looks awesome since it runs full Windows 8. One CON that I see and have read elsewhere is that you can't connect a dock or peripheral and charge the Venue at the same time.

I wasn't going to buy it because of the charging/docking issue but yesterday I found this link - http://kck.st/1fIi06H for a device that simply connects between your charger and tablet. The device lets you charge (at full rate) and gives you an extra USB port to connect a dock, hub, or whatever peripheral you want. I'm going to pre-order one. I just thought I would share in case others have run into this same issue.

+port plus port

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS