Xbox One Users Report ‘Oily Liquid’ Leaking From Console Vents

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,818
Points 1,166,575
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Dec 30 2013 10:37 AM
Trucks, tractors, and airplanes are all examples of things that can leak oil. There are dozens of other things we can think of, but up until today, game consoles wouldn't have made the list. Be that as it may, there are limited reports of some Xbox One consoles leaking an oily white liquid leaving behind stains described as being "milk-like" after milk dries up.

Before we get ahead of ourselves, there isn't any evidence to suggest this is a widespread epidemic of any sort. So far we know of exactly two reports, both of which appear on Microsoft's Xbox forums. One of the two users uploaded pics of the milky white residue that was left behind after the liquid dried up.

Xbox One Residue

"My Xbox One is leaking out some kind of oil out of the vent, and there are these white milk-like stains in the center of the vents. And by milk-like, I mean if you leave a glass without rinsing it off after you drank milk and it drys on," Xbox forum user 'CynicalAnarchy' explains.

The user said the stains aren't causing any problems in terms of functionality. Another user on the same forum said he too saw the residue appear on his Xbox One Day One edition console, but that it eventually "just kind of dried up and went on its way."

CynicalAnarchy claims he contacted Microsoft about the issue but hasn't posted any details about that conversation. Some have questioned whether or not his claims are real or fabricated, pointing out that the liquid stains appear on top of the console, which might suggest something was spilled. Others contend that liquid could have been blown out through the top vents from the exhaust fans.

Either way, we'll keep our eye on this one to see what develops.
  • | Post Points: 200
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Ps3 wins.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 25

Somebody needs to keep their bodily fluids in check.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

PS® Series=XBOX® Series < PC .

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 35
SeanBlack replied on Mon, Dec 30 2013 12:28 PM

Probably coolant from heat pipes or runny solder Flux. Had a lot of that with original 360s with more than a million miles on them

Not Ranked
Posts 41
Points 355

Official PC Masterrace would love this.

Not Ranked
Posts 20
Points 115

PC>PS4>WIIU>XONE!

Not Ranked
Posts 78
Points 520

That's just shame and regret.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

James Lees

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20

I call BS. There is no liquid in there with the vapor chamber being the only remote possibility.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

This is why I got a PS4!

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 100

Fap fap fap

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,356
Points 48,595
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Thu, Jan 2 2014 1:55 PM

I agree with RamSundaram. This is probably BS. It's unlikely anything leaked upward into the fan grill (that's the top of the Xbox) and the fan isn't spinning fast enough to shoot a liquid up through vents.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 358
Points 2,565

To the Window....To the wall....skeet skeet

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS