Netflix to Sink "Titanic" and Dozens of Other Movies on January 1

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,190
Points 1,186,215
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Dec 29 2013 10:55 AM
In just a few days, Netflix will reportedly purge around 90 movies and TV shows from its streaming library. Without a time machine, it would be impossible to watch all of them between now and then, though there are some notable flicks worth queuing up while you still have the chance. James Cameron's 1997 movie "Titanic" is one them.

"Titanic" is the second-highest grossing film of all time behind "Avatar," and fourth-highest if adjusted for inflation ("Gone with the Wind" takes top honors in the latter category). It grossed over $2.18 billion at the box office and claimed the top spot in ticket sales for 12 years until "Avatar" overtook pole position with $2.78 billion.

Mr. Bean
If you haven't experience the comedy of Mr. Bean, do yourself a favor and catch it on Netflix while you still can.

Only a handful of TV shows are set to expire on January 1, 2014, including "Dark Shadows," (original from late 1960s), "Saturday Night Live The 2000s," "Mr. Bean," "The Kids in the Hall," and "Perfect 10 Model Boxing" (Volume 1).

The list of movies is much more extensive and includes cult classics like "Killer Klowns From Outer Space" and "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back." It's a mix of older and newer films, everything from "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas" and the original "True Grit" from 1969, to "As Good as It Gets" and "50 First Dates."

Check out the full list at Reddit and start filling up your queue.
  • | Post Points: 80
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15
ChrisHall replied on Sun, Dec 29 2013 11:48 AM

No pun intended, I'm sure...

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 145

They need to add more shows!!!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 620
Points 5,570
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Sun, Dec 29 2013 2:27 PM

I watched Kids in the Hall and Mr. Bean religiously as a kid. Both had odd, but funny humor.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 9,505
sevags replied on Sun, Dec 29 2013 4:39 PM

I am not seeing anything worth holding on to. Netflix is already HORRIBLE when it comes to adding new content, something nothing new seems to be added for months and when they add new content the majority ends up being horrible, for kids, or things we have all seen a dozen times over.

And why would anyone care about Titanic leaving? I personally dislike the movie with a passion which I find boring, but by this point everyone should have seen the movie and most have seen it many times. Doesn't it also air on network television several times a year. I hope it stays off Netflix for several years at least.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 213
Points 2,220

Regardless of whether you personally liked it or not (I thought it was great, but my opinion is irrelevant too), "Titanic" was the top grossing film for 12 years and the second highest of all time, qualifying it as a significant piece of film history. So that's one reason it's removal from Netflix is notable.

As to who has or hasn't seen it, I remember being in a conference with probably around 1,000 people back when Titanic was still the top grossing film. The speaker asked for a show of hands of who hadn't seen the move, and the room filled with raised arms. He was making a point about market saturation -- "Look at all those hands! Even without your participation, 'Titanic' is still the No. 1 film of all time." Your assumption that everyone has seen it reminds me of that conference (for different reasons than the speaker intended). There's also the fact that people too young to have seen it in the late 1990s might be of age now -- my son, born in 1997, is an example.

So there's my long-winded answer to your question. :P

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 9,505
sevags replied on Tue, Dec 31 2013 4:55 PM

lol how long ago was that conference? I remember I was in High School in the 10th grade and even then there were girls who had gone seen it 3 or ore times in threaders!!! fast forward 16 years and the 2nd highest grossing movie has either been seen by the entire movie watching audience or will never been seen by individuals who have chosen to boycott the movie ing ago (a smart move seeing as it is a long winded boring and historically inaccurate, oh and also the only nude scene is of a very unattractive girl lol). Basically if you haven't seen it by now you aren't very muh going to care that it is being removed from Netflix and even if you love the movie I am sure you can stand it being taken off of netflix for a few months to a year. That's the whole point of netflix right they can't stream every movie ever created they needed to swap out movies which is something they should be doing MUCH more often, no single movie should ever be on netflix for more than 90 days.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS