Google's 2014 Model Nexus 7 Tablet May Have Intel Inside

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,190
Points 1,186,110
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Dec 27 2013 2:45 PM
Google would be foolish not to release another Nexus 7 tablet in 2014, so let's go ahead and assume the Mountain View company will keep the good times rolling with yet another winning product sometime next year. That still gives us plenty to speculate about, such as whether or not ASUS will once again build the device for Google, and what System-on-Chip will be found inside.

The latest web chatter suggests that the next Nexus 7 model will sport an Intel processor. Specifically, the 2014 model Nexus 7 is likely to wield a Bay Trail chip such as the Z3740 or Z3770. One thing Google wouldn't have to worry about is Asus' ability to implement the hardware, as it already has experience working with Bay Trail, which is featured in the company's T-100 convertible Windows tablets.

Nexus 7

Intel is certainly focused on the mobile market these days, and getting its hardware into the Nexus 7 would be a major win. It wouldn't be enough to turn the tide against ARM in and of itself, but it would certainly give Intel momentum and might make other tablet makers more likely to consider an Intel foundation.

It remains to been if the Z3770 is powerful enough for a next generation tablet. There are benchmarks floating around cyberspace (including our own) that show it's a strong overall performer, but will it hold up until the third quarter of 2014 (and beyond), which is when the next Nexus 7 model is rumored to launch? That's a question Google and Asus will have to answer.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 620
Points 5,570
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Fri, Dec 27 2013 3:51 PM

Intel needs this to happen, and I hope it does. The more realistic competition, the better.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 50

We'll see....as long as it's faster, offers better battery performance, and LESS EXPENSIVE than the the competition that is available at the time, I'm all for it. Otherwise I see no reason to buy an Intel solution just to prop up their mobile plans.

BTW - I'ld be more excited to see Intel release a new desktop solution that was compelling and revolutionary, rather than the yearly (and now every two years) evolutionary model refreshes.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 95
Points 760
HanyangXu replied on Fri, Dec 27 2013 8:37 PM

Running Bay Trail in my Venue Pro 8...it's very capable but does seem to get pretty warm even in not-so-demanding environments. Then again, it's running x86 Windows, so I'm not sure if it'll be any cooler when it's running Android.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,913
Points 24,635
digitaldd replied on Mon, Dec 30 2013 10:07 AM

So it will be a beefed up version of the Android Dell Venue 8 that is on sale now? The current Venue 8 running Android is about $180 and has a Intel® Atom™ processor Z2580  under the hood.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS