Yahoo Mail Outage is "Complex," Still Not Fully Restored

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,744
Points 1,209,755
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Dec 15 2013 12:05 PM
For some unlucky users, Yahoo's email service has been down for nearly a week. The problem first began at 10:27 PM PT last Monday, and since that time, Yahoo's team of engineers have been working feverishly to fully restore service. Things are taking longer than expected because the issue is "much more complex than it seemed at first," Yahoo chief Marissa Mayer stated in a apologetic blog post.

According to Mayer, the problem was traced back to a specific hardware outage in one of Yahoo's storage systems serving 1 percent of its users. At the time, Yahoo expected to have things fully operational by 1:30 PM PT on Tuesday, less than 24 hours after the outage first began.

Yahoo Mail

"However, the problem was a particularly rare one, and the resolution for the affected accounts was nuanced since different users were impacted in different ways," Mayer explained. "Some of the affected users were unable to access their accounts, instead seeing an outdated 'scheduled maintenance' page which was a confusing and incorrect message (this has since been corrected and updated). Further, messages sent to those accounts during this time were not delivered, but held in a queue."

The good news here is that there's a big, bright light at the end of the tunnel. Yahoo has been providing ongoing updates on its a specific Help page, the last of which was posted yesterday indicating that 99.9 percent of Yahoo Mail users are now able to access their accounts. Furthermore, the outage message queue is completely cleared and IMAP access is now 100 percent restored.

"We're making progress on restoring full access to messages for affected customers and will update again with more information," the last update reads.

According to data from comScore, as of December 2012 there were 282 million active Yahoo Mail users, compared to Hotmail (now Outlook.com) at 284 million and Gmail at 295 million.
  • | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 76
Points 500

Good thing mine works fine

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
grafxman replied on Sun, Dec 15 2013 4:22 PM

No one has been able to upload videos to flickr for over a week. I think Yahoo owns flickr. I wonder if the two things are related. However flickr staff refuses to acknowledge the problem Here's a link to the forum:

http://www.flickr.com/help/forum/en-us/72157638460010703/

As you can see, there's a lot of unhappy flickr members there. Many of us shoot DSLR videos and like to upload them to the same place we upload our photos.

Check out my photos and videos at:
www.flickr.com/photos/80431173@N00/collections/
short URL=http://goo.gl/Kpw8cz
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,767
Points 105,080
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Dec 15 2013 9:00 PM

I quit using Yahoo for anything many years ago. When I was servicing PCs, a lot of problems people had were based on Yahoo mail being so insecure.

This is bad news for them, but I'm not surprised at all by it.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Yahoo has sunk down from being the best search engine to number zero; lost to google

Yahoo was one of the best email services; forget it. Google and even old hotmail are much easier to use than Yahoo.

It is a shame that they do not listen to their users suggestions and see the direction that the users are going.

Their email site really is difficult to use. They should copy hotmail and switch the logo; Yahoo's new site never worked swiftly and I believe the outage is partly the crappy coding that they use.

Sorry to pan them, but they deserve a low rating.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS