Will Relaunching Google TV as 'Nexus TV' Make a Difference?

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,182
Points 1,186,015
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Dec 7 2013 10:14 AM
Google TV may in for a change, but not the kind you're thinking of. The web-based television service could end up rebranded as Nexus TV, tying it to Google's more popular and well received line of electronic devices, while shedding a name that's seen its share of disappointments and failures since launch. Just ask Logitech, which jumped on board the Google TV bandwagon early on, lost millions of dollars, and dubbed the experience a "gigantic mistake."

A rebranding makes sense, especially if it's true that Google is getting ready to relaunch the service sometime in the first half of 2014, as reported by The Information (paywall). CNET, which scaled the paywall, says the rumor fits in line with what it was told by Google chief Sundar Pichai, which is that a major Google TV announcement will be made at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES) in Las Vegas next month.

Google TV

As it stands, the Nexus brand is viewed favorably by consumers, so it wouldn't be a bad idea for Google TV to piggyback on that. However, Google must also make sure that its service is appealing. Not only has Google TV pretty much flopped up to this point, the current iteration is mired in Android 3.2 (Honeycomb), a dated version of Android that has only a 0.1 percent share of the entire Android market. There have been several new versions of Android since Honeycomb, including Ice Cream Sandwich, Jelly Bean, and KitKat.

Another direction Google could go is to rename the service Android TV, as previously rumored. Either way, while the current name may be an issue  that needs addressed, it's the least of Google TV's problems.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,015
Points 9,500
sevags replied on Sat, Dec 7 2013 12:46 PM

No. And as someone who owned a googleTV and keeps up to date on the topic it just confused me more. They really should leave the name alone but if they are hellbent on changing it it should probably be called ChromeTV, keeps things in the same continuity.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,015
Points 9,500
sevags replied on Sat, Dec 7 2013 12:53 PM

Oh and Logitech's situation is a bit their own fault. They jumped into a market they had little experience in and their hardware was absolutely positively junk! It looked felt and behaved like a slow children's toy and they gave up so fast on it that they dropped the price but didn't provide needed updates for it.

In contrast my Sony TV with built in googleTV was of great quality, qwerty remote keyboard was great quality, and honestly it did what it advertised. I now have a 2013 Samsung 3D Smart TV and it has the same functionality as my Sony did 3 years ago all-be-it with prettier menu's.

Logitech killed itself.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,015
Points 9,500
sevags replied on Sat, Dec 7 2013 12:57 PM

OH and did google and HH both forget about the Nexus Q? So don't tell me the nexus name has a favorable one when it comes to your livingroom TV. That was a pure flop by Google alone and now they want to reuse the name, maybe Nexus R TV. Yeahhhh sounds like a giant pass for me.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 96
Points 625

i like my Google TV from Logitech, its a bit flaky but until I get an AppleTV it does just fine.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20

Yaa Nexus Sounds \m/

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS