Acer C720 Chromebook Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,345
Points 1,191,410
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Dec 3 2013 11:21 AM

Acer C720 Chromebook ReviewDespite what some might view as a hamstrung operating system, the reason that Chromebooks are a tempting option is that most of them are very inexpensive. The one we’re looking at today, the Acer C720 Chromebook, costs a mere $249, which is about on par price-wise for many Chromebooks these days.

The question then becomes, can such a device possibly replace a laptop?

Here’s the good news: We have an answer for you, but it’s a complex answer, so you’ll have to read on to fully understand the big picture.

Along the way, you’ll get a closer look at Chrome OS as well as the Acer C720 Chromebook itself.

Acer C720 Chromebook Review

• | Post Points: 95
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,619
Points 55,175
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Tue, Dec 3 2013 3:16 PM

I have to say, not bad at all for $249. Almost cheap enough to pick one up for the kiddos to use.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
SimonGray replied on Tue, Dec 3 2013 11:10 PM

I would be really annoyed if I bought this and then found it to be at all noisy. I just loath computer noise, and the Samsung and the HP chromebooks have no fans, just an ARM (phone / tablet) CPU. So it would make as much noise as a tablet. Is a Haswell CPU much noisier than a tablet? If it isn't, then the Acer wins as my chromebook of choice...

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

I have an older Chromebook and I absolutely love it. This new Acer is even better. You will be able to hear the fan kick in from time to time as it has an Intel processor that does require some cooling. The only detail I'm not 100% satisfied with is the screen. I would prefer a slightly larger form factor, say 12" or 13", and an IPS screen. This is still a fantastic value as is.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

My Acer just died after slightly less than a year. Acer is trying not to honor the warranty. I'll definitely get another Chromebook, never another Acer product.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 234
Points 1,820
ForumsAdministrator
scolaner replied on Thu, Dec 5 2013 12:26 PM

The thing is quiet as a damn church mouse. Seriously.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

Why did the author not compare this to the Samsung Series 5 550? That would have been more meaningful.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 234
Points 1,820
ForumsAdministrator

Yes, it would, but we haven't tested one of those.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 95
jra716 replied on Mon, Dec 9 2013 2:08 AM

I've never really taken Chromebooks seriously because I was never really sold on Chrome OS. I was never sold on Windows 8 either. It wasn't until I really tried Windows 8 for everyday browser/multimedia use on the Lenovo Yoga 11S that I realized Windows 8 was worth getting used to. With regard to Chrome OS, I think I'd venture to say the same if I tested it on say the C720P variant of this that offers touch screen.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

Love this thing EXCEPT I HATE the fact that SD card juts out!!! Why do laptop manufacturers do this? You're telling me that they can't find another half inch!? Jeebus!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 234
Points 1,820
ForumsAdministrator
scolaner replied on Thu, Dec 19 2013 11:06 AM

You know jra716, that's an interesting comment. When using smallish (10 inches or so) Windows 8/RT devices, I find myself frequently using the touchscreen capabilities, and I expected the same with the chromebook. But honestly, I never really found myself reaching for the chromebook's display, and I didn't miss the touchscreen function at all.

Windows 8 is of course built with touch in mind while Chrome OS is not, so there's that. Unless you're totally in love with touchscreens, I'd suggest trying out a Chrome OS device that lacks it and see what you think. You, like me, might be pleasantly surprised.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS