Critics Claim Porsche Carrera GT Paul Walker Died in is Too Dangerous and ‘Savage’ to Drive

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,804
Points 1,213,175
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Dec 3 2013 10:00 AM
By now you've likely already heard that actor Paul Walker perished in a car accident over the holiday weekend. On the off chance this is the first you're hearing about it, a quick recap is that Walker went on a joyride with his friend and financial adviser, Roger Rodas, while attending a charity event for Walker's organization Reach Out Worldwide. The 'Fast And Furious' star was a passenger in his red Porsche Carrera GT, while Rodas, a former race car driver, manned the wheel.

Speed was obviously a factor, as pictures from the scene show the car was nearly ripped in half by a tree before a fire reduced the vehicle to a smoldering pile of ash. Both Walker and Rodas died, though it's unclear if the cause of death was from the impact of the crash or the ensuing fire.

Paul Walker's Wrecked Porsche
Image Source: mirror.co.uk

The reason we're posting this here is because some are calling into question the overall safety of the Porsche Carrera GT, somewhat of a technical wonder in the world of automobiles. It has a V10 engine, 610 BHP, and a 205 MPH top speed, but speed alone isn't why critics are calling the car out -- it's the handling.

"You need to be awake to drive this fast. It really isn't an easy car to control," Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson told Mirror. "The clutch is brutal, the power is savage, and the handling...you really are on a knife edge. But if you put in the effort, boy-oh-boy do you get the rewards."

Paul Walker Porsche
Image Source: Twitter (Victor Mosqueda)

Clarkson added that the Carrera GT is the "most exciting" and also the "fastest road-going Porsche ever made." At higher speeds, there's very little room for error, if any. Part of the reason for that is because of the way it was built

"This was not a car for novices," Eddie Alterman, Editor-in-Chief of Car and Driver magazine, told CNN. Actually, the Carrera GT program began as a racing program."

Porsche Engine
Image Source: Wikimedia Commons

One of the things that makes the Carrera GT tricky to control is that the engine is placed in the middle. This makes it much more nimble with quicker turning capabilities, but there's a learning curve involved. On top of that, there's no electronic stability control to correct slides or help prevent losing control. If you make a mistake, you're going to pay for it in some fashion.

It was a challenge Walker happily accepted, and given enough time, he may have been up for it. Race car driver Randy Pobst coached the actors in the second "Fast & Furious" movie, the franchise Walker is best known for, and according to him, "Paul was by far the best driver -- a natural car guy."
  • | Post Points: 290
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 145

No they were prolly drunk and forgot they were not on set of fast and furious, its never the cars fault, its always driver error or mistake

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 145

Bad ass car btw:) nice way to spend a million bucks or more haha

Not Ranked
Posts 22
Points 145

No way in hell was he doing speed limit, car was way to smashed

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

only now? the car has been out since 04 smh a bit late for it to be too savage and dangerous I think

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 636
Points 5,710
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Tue, Dec 3 2013 12:06 PM

Any car is going to be hard to handle when you're going at speeds that can completely obliterate it in an instant.

Not Ranked
Posts 31
Points 260
JesseLiss replied on Tue, Dec 3 2013 12:37 PM

Nice misleading title, in no way did anyone say it was too savage or dangerous to drive. What are you? Yahoo? And Paul Walker wasn't even driving.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25

These people are correct.. this car is way too dangerous for street use! I would also like to take a moment to blame forks for making me fat.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 35
Points 225

Jesse - " Top Gear's Jeremy Clarkson... "The clutch is brutal, the power is savage, and the handling...you really are on a knife edge." And we noted fully that Paul was a passenger and the driver was actually a former race car driver.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,700
Points 55,975
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Tue, Dec 3 2013 12:49 PM

Ha! That's a great analogy and so true.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 70

It's a sports car so you need to be able to handle it's give and take mentality. Please stop blaming the car until the police investigation is done

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,086
Points 10,065
sevags replied on Tue, Dec 3 2013 1:14 PM

why is everyone forgetting to mention that fact that the gas tank is in the front??? This does 2 things, first is there isn't a massive sturdy engine block in the front to absorb a crash (and at times help to crush you) but a larger crumple zone especially if the gas tank ruptures, and then there is the fact that a front end collision can cause this design to turn into a massive fireball as was the case in this condition. Love the car and the gas tank blowing up isn't common, but as you can see it does happen...

RIP Paul and Rodas.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 116
Points 810

Can't say he didn't go out with a bang.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 116
Points 810

If any of you have seen the photos from the accident..

Nothing at all resembled a car.. looked more like they crashed a meteor..

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 116
Points 810

Well..the photos from the other side of the car (what WAS the rearview)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,112
Points 38,335
acarzt replied on Tue, Dec 3 2013 5:50 PM

Sevags, it wasn't a frontal impact. You can see the hood is up and in mostly decent shape. The impact was all on the side.

Anyway, I'm a car guy. I love cars, i also like to modify my cars and take them to the track to race them.

I'm not going to say that cars like this don't belong on the road. But cars like this should not be driven aggressively on any road that isn't a track.

At an actual race track, the road is prepped and clean of debree, and ensured to be safe for agressive driving. On top of that, safety personel are on site. This is the type of place a car like this was built for.

I can understand doing some hard acceleration to get a feel for the power... but keep it at sane, and controllable speeds.

These guys had to have been going VERY fast, 100+ Mph, i've hydroplaned and hit a tree at 60 and the damage wasn't even CLOSE to this. They were also likely to be going through a turn of some sort in order to have hit the tree sideways, that or they were going in a straight line and someone started to pull out and they had to swerve to avoid them.

Now the one thing that I would put on Porsche with this, is not protecting the passengers well enough. That car is completely wrapped around that tree and the cabin is burst wide open. Porsche knows what people are going to be doing with these cars, they should have built a roll cage into the frame to protect the passengers better. If I can get a Smart Fortwo with a roll cage built into it, why doesn't the Porsche have one?

Or they could have done something responsible like limiting the cars capabilities unless the car is on a track, like the Nissan GT-R(uses GPS to determine if you are at a track, on public roads performance is limited) or Ferrari FXX (Ferrari wont even let you drive the car unless it's at the Track, when you're done driving it, Ferrari takes it back to their factory until you want to drive it at the track again).

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

I have to agree with Jesse. What's the point of the article? A movie star passes away and yet we don't take into account the driver loosing control rather than the car be deemed "slammed by critics." This to me is bad journalism with a misleading title. When reading Clarkson's quote, it seems to me that it's unaware at HotHardware that cars are built like this all the time. For instance: the Ferrari F50, Lamborghini Murcialago, and the Kenigsegg Agerra. People do things that they shouldn't and get hurt and unfortunately killed, such as Walker; but to think "You need to be awake to drive this fast. It really isn't an easy car to control," means "Too Dangerous and ‘Savage’ to Drive," is unheard of. This isn't Clarkson criticizing the Carrera, just reinforcing a fact that should be prevalent enough that it isn't for the feint of heart. I don't think I will be visiting HotHardware again anytime soon.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 193
Points 1,290

Murica

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 125
BJew replied on Wed, Dec 4 2013 2:36 AM

cars don't kill people. people kill people.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,086
Points 10,065
sevags replied on Wed, Dec 4 2013 1:40 PM

Cars don't kill people, People kill cars

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Cars kill people, guns kill people, please ban water for drowning people next.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Could it have been a FAKE Porsche made in plastic ?

As there are Fake ferrari and Fake Aston Martin

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/08/14/fake-ferrari-aston-martin-busted-spain-video/

Page 1 of 1 (22 items) | RSS