Microsoft Xbox One, The Full Review

This post has 40 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,356
Points 1,191,525
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Nov 20 2013 12:18 AM

Microsoft Xbox One, The Full ReviewThe Xbox One is more than just a game console. We know that may be blatantly obvious to many of you, but we want to drive that point home from the get-go. The gaming, home entertainment, and mobile/computing industries are vastly different than they were when the previous-gen Xbox 360 launched in late 2005. Since then, there’s been unprecedented intermingling, consolidation and integration across these markets and Microsoft took it all into consideration in the design of the Xbox One.

Of course, the Xbox One plays games—really well, actually. With its updated hardware, more refined controllers, new Kinect sensor, and a wealth of developer support, the Xbox One is an excellent gaming platform. But Microsoft’s incorporation of a hypervisor that allows the Xbox One to run the Xbox OS and Windows 8 kernel simultaneously opens up a world of additional possibilities. Couple the new hardware, innovative software implementation, and capabilities of the included Kinect sensor and you’ve got a device that’s equally as adept at running a cutting edge game as it is playing back HD video, browsing the web, or video conferencing...

Microsoft Xbox One, The Full Review
Xbox One with Kinect Sensor and Wireless Controller

• | Post Points: 395
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 70
RCone replied on Wed, Nov 20 2013 12:38 AM

Does it play blu-rays?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,361
Points 48,680
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Wed, Nov 20 2013 12:40 AM

Yes. From the top of page 2, "The front of the Xbox One is simplistic and utilitarian. It’s completely flat, with a matte finish on the left and a glossy finish on the right. The left side houses the console’s slot-loading Blu-ray drive—which will also play standard DVDs, but not 3D Blu-Ray movies."

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20
GRobertson replied on Wed, Nov 20 2013 12:49 AM

Great review. Cant wait to get mine on Friday!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20
GRobertson replied on Wed, Nov 20 2013 12:49 AM

Yep

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 70
RCone replied on Wed, Nov 20 2013 12:50 AM

Cool

Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 70
RCone replied on Wed, Nov 20 2013 12:54 AM

Oops, even though it will play Blu-rays it won't play 3D Blu-rays. A serious omission.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25

so I've been thinking since the Xbox One is not backwards compatible would it be possible through the HDMI input for the tv to hook the your 360 up through that? Albeit it would not be true backwards compatibility it might work though for those of us who have a plethora of 360 games we have yet to finish and/or start and still want the dual functionality to watch Netflix or youtube alongside the game. I do realize you would then not be able to hook up your cable or satallite box to the Xbox One but mine doesn't have an HDMI output and the tv thing doesn't really interest me anyhow. Of course Microsoft may have already foresaw people trying to this and put stop gap measures in place to keep it from happening which is most likely the case. If I've thought of then somebody else must have thought it as well

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 625
Points 5,595
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Wed, Nov 20 2013 1:31 AM

Sometimes, I wish I weren't such a PC snob, because a lot of what the Xbox One brings to the table looks quite nice. I just can't get over the poor graphics and poor performance capabilities in general (again, I'm a PC snob), and appreciate too much the unparalleled flexibility of the PC. Back when the X360 and PS3 launched (both of which I purchased at launch), I didn't feel like the PC was vastly superior at the time. This time around, the delta is enormous. But - so is the power draw, to be fair.

That all said, I am jealous of those who will be playing Forza and Killer Instinct. And while I am not sure I'd put it to much use personally, the new Kinect is unbelievable - Microsoft -really- did nice work there.

"The new consoles may be getting the lion’s share of buzz as of late, but rest assured their arrival is a good thing for the PC."

It's a little unfortunate that it takes a new console generation to make this happen, but I'll take it. Oh, and once the Xbox One gamepad becomes available for the PC, I'm picking that bad boy up. Yet another benefit for PC gamers.

Fantastic look, Marco.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
RyanBerry replied on Wed, Nov 20 2013 1:36 AM

Neither system supports 3D Blu-Ray, but considering how poorly the 3D home market ended up, I think it was more a choice than an omission.

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 140
KDaniels replied on Wed, Nov 20 2013 5:27 AM

What happens when your Skype partner says "Xbox Off"? Hehehe...

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 140
KDaniels replied on Wed, Nov 20 2013 5:30 AM

Waaay cool... I'm a pc guy but I like what I see.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,619
Points 55,175
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Wed, Nov 20 2013 8:18 AM

Ha! I should have tried that! I wonder... :)

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,619
Points 55,175
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Wed, Nov 20 2013 8:54 AM

We'll be adding an in-game screenshots gallery soon, so watch this space! :)

Editor In Chief

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,361
Points 48,680
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Wed, Nov 20 2013 9:12 AM

@Rob - I think you should let go of the idea of "poor performance" and "poor graphics". In all honestly, I'm a PC snob as well, but I was genuinely impressed with the responsiveness of the console itself, just tooling around the OS and running apps. As for the graphics, I've got my test rig with a pair of GTX 780 Tis connected to 4K display right next to me, and I was still slack-jawed at how a couple of the games looked on the Xbox One. Of course, those were the two games that are still under embargo. Forza and Ryse look awesome. If you play those games as they're supposed to be played (large screen HDTV, sitting a few feet away, there is no way you won't be impressed. The facial animation is Ryse may be the best I've ever seen. And the models in Forza are as good as they get. Yes, you can get up close and nit pick the aliasing or texture quality in spots, but if you just sit in and play, like most poeple will, they're awesome. I can't wait for the weekend so I veg out with Ryse...

Marco Chiappetta

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,361
Points 48,680
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Wed, Nov 20 2013 9:40 AM

@Josh - You could technically plug in whatever you like into the HDMI input on the Xbox One, and when you switch to that input, whatever is being displayed will be shown on screen. That's really no different than simply plugging the Xbox 360 into a different input on your television and just switching to it though.

Marco Chiappetta

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,032
Points 9,615
sevags replied on Wed, Nov 20 2013 10:17 AM

Man absolutely no one cares about 3D!!! No one! People are avoiding buying 3D TV's those who have them (like me) didn't buy it for 3D capabilities we simply didn't have a choice it is included, many who own one don't own glasses for it unless they were included, and no one is buying 3D content. The gaming community said no to 3D long and are headed more in the direction of VR headsets. Yet people are complaining and saying ridiculous things like "serious omission" for the sole reason of putting down the console. Come up with a better excuse to complain guys because you yourselves don't actually give a flying... Pig... About 3D.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 997
Points 14,405
Manduh replied on Wed, Nov 20 2013 11:35 AM

This almost makes me want to get one! Excellent review. I'm just not sure I'm going to upgrade yet. We have two 360s and if one gets the xbone the other will want it too lol... that's a lot of $$$ Maybe I'll start an xbone money jar :)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
Michael replied on Wed, Nov 20 2013 12:48 PM

Quick question, how does the pass through work with the cablebox's DVR system, and I'm guessing you still needed a remote for volume and such.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,361
Points 48,680
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Wed, Nov 20 2013 1:00 PM

It's really just an HDMI pass-thru, so your set-top box's DVR system will function exactly as it did before. You'll still need to use your existing remote, etc.

Marco Chiappetta

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,361
Points 48,680
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Wed, Nov 20 2013 1:00 PM

Added some more video and screenshots here: http://bit.ly/1jmVm6a

Marco Chiappetta

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,619
Points 55,175
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Wed, Nov 20 2013 2:14 PM

If you like this review, Tweet and share it out for our buddy Marco. He worked hard on it! :)

Editor In Chief

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,361
Points 48,680
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Wed, Nov 20 2013 2:32 PM

Just added some hard temperature data to the power page as well...

Marco Chiappetta

Follow Marco on Twitter

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25

thanks for the review. I am wondering how the xbox one will work with my comcast one platform. And the kinnect and microsoft one wont have any capabilities to integrate with the tv itself such as volume and power ? I am thinking no. Also this might not be in the ballpark but what about people that have xbox360s as well. say you just set up your xbox one played some forza gained achievements. Now you also still want to play your xbox 360 games. So you launch gta and gain an achievement. will this automatically work between the two ? or will you have to download your gamertags everytime you switch between the two systems.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,361
Points 48,680
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Wed, Nov 20 2013 4:42 PM

One you're logged in on either system, your achievements should be saved...

As for the TV / Set Top box control, the Xbox One CAN control power an volume. Since the Kinect acts like a big IR blaster, it offers many of the basic functions of a universal remote control.

Marco Chiappetta

Follow Marco on Twitter

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 25

okay thanks.   it would be a bonus if it can  change inputs as well.  so i can run cable box into  the hdmi in.  then run xbox 360 into hdmi 1 on tv  and ps4 into hdmi 2

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 555
Points 4,480
RiCoFrost replied on Wed, Nov 20 2013 5:49 PM

Nice review :) i cant wait to get mine tomorrow!!!!!!!!!!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,865
Points 29,645

Sounds sweet. Would like to replace me PS3 with one of these.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 50

Nice review Marco. As someone who also appears to use an htpc, I'm curious as to your impressions about the differences between having a dedicated htpc with some type of cablecard and trying to use the xbone for media purposes. In particular I guess my gripe as someone who uses an HDHomerun Prime and an htpc, the xbone doesn't look like it would let me get rid of anything (ie - cable box, dvr, htpc....).

The reason why I ask is that it seems like Microsoft is staking a lot on the media capabilities of the xbone as opposed to it's gaming capabilities. While it looks like the xbone is a capable gaming system, it seems strange to me that Microsoft isn't marketing the xbone as a great standalone console and instead is selling it as some type of entertainment appliance.

BTW - Please tell me I wasn't the only one who was laughing at the PS4 ad that was playing on ESPN during the review (about 9:30 I think).

Not Ranked
Posts 38
Points 355
Chondro replied on Wed, Nov 20 2013 9:04 PM

may have stated in the article but

which version of HDMI does it have?

also, specs says ddr3 I thought It had ddr5 or is that just my bad memory

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,619
Points 55,175
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Wed, Nov 20 2013 9:29 PM

I'll let Marco respond to the HTPC question RT, but you're not the only one that noticed that commercial spot. Our Youtube audience picked up on it as well! :-D The funny thing is, neither Marco or I picked up on it during production of the video demo. Too funny that it just sneaked past us, otherwise we might have edited it out. ;)

Editor In Chief

Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 175
basroil2 replied on Thu, Nov 21 2013 1:22 AM

By RCone on Nov 20, 2013 "Does it play blu-rays?"

100% compatibility with non-3D titles. 3D might be supported later, but regular blurays are perfectly watchable on the device!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,361
Points 48,680
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Thu, Nov 21 2013 9:41 AM

DDR3 + eSRAM cache in Xbox One, GDDR5 in the PS4. And it's HDMI 1.4.

Marco Chiappetta

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,032
Points 9,615
sevags replied on Thu, Nov 21 2013 9:56 PM

Agreed Marco great job! Really reads like an honest review both from a techy's view and a gamers side. Felt very unbiased when none of the other reviews out there on the next gen consoles are; everyone else seemed to choose a side before they even tried the systems. I've been sending out this link to my friends and all the students in my school :)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 555
Points 4,480
RiCoFrost replied on Sat, Nov 23 2013 12:17 AM

I have been playing RYSE and wow what a game... LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!! it looks so impressive and the combat in it is fantastic. I am really enjoying this game.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,361
Points 48,680
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Sat, Nov 23 2013 1:32 AM

Nice! As a PC guy, now playing Ryse on the Xbox One, would you agree that the graphics look impressive? And animations are among the best you've seen? Crytek obviously put a lot of effort into that game.

Marco Chiappetta

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 555
Points 4,480
RiCoFrost replied on Sun, Nov 24 2013 7:14 PM

Indeed i would, Im running a PC with i7 2700k @ 4.6GHZ with a GTX 780 and RYSE looks so dam good that i would have to say its one of the best gaming graphics I've seen. I am greatly impressed with the graphic, gameplay and storyline of RYSE. The surrounding foliage look realistic, I have stopped a number of times just to look around, LOL i even called my wife to have a look because i was that impressed with it.

The crytek engine is just fantastic, it really is most impressive. Im running the xbox one on a Samsung 58" full HD plasma and it rums smooth. No skips, not stutters, no pauses,no slow downs.

With the xbox 360 in GTA 5 for example, in the background you would seen heavy jagged edges, with Xbox one its almost none existent.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,361
Points 48,680
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Mon, Nov 25 2013 11:40 AM

OK, it's not my mind playing tricks on me. :)

Marco Chiappetta

Follow Marco on Twitter

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 555
Points 4,480
RiCoFrost replied on Mon, Nov 25 2013 6:04 PM

No it really is good, I've been telling everyone about it. I even invited my nephew over to have a game and loved it also.

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 95

After a few weeks of the release, XBOX1 has been more popular amongst people than anything. Or... Microsoft just made a very limited amount since it's been sold out everywhere I go & PS4 are not.

Page 1 of 2 (41 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS