Xbox One Console isn't Compatible with 3D Blu-ray

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,492
Points 1,196,595
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Nov 9 2013 11:25 AM
Show of hands, how many of you care about 3D Blu-ray content? It's a question worth asking because with both Microsoft and Sony getting ready to release next-generation consoles to retail, only one has confirmed it won't support the format. No need to try and guess which one -- if you read the title, you know the Xbox One won't support playback of 3D Blu-ray discs, at least not initially.

The folks over at CNET said they confirmed the lack of 3D Blu-ray support with a Microsoft representative, though the Redmond software giant hasn't ruled out implementing the feature at a later date. It will probably depend on how much of a stink, if any, gamers make about it.

It's an interesting decision by Microsoft. The Xbox One is the company's first console to bake in Blu-ray support, though it seems odd that Microsoft chose not to go the extra mile and add 3D support, too.

Xbox One
Image Source: Flickr (micrypt)

As for Sony's PS4 console, the assumption is that it will support 3D Blu-ray playback just like the PlayStation 3 does, but it hasn't been confirmed. The closest Sony has come to confirming support for 3D movies is by listing 3D gaming in its massive FAQ page.

"Technically, PS4 supports 3D gameplay at launch in North America, though no launch titles are currently 3D compatible," Sony states.

The question that led to that answer asks, "Will PS4 support any 3D content, including stereoscopic 3D games." Sony kind of danced around the issue in its answer by only mentioning games, not other types of 3D content, specifically 3D Blu-ray movies.

Does any of this matter to you? If you're planning to purchase a next-generation console, does 3D Blu-ray support have any bearing on your decision to pick one over the other?
  • | Post Points: 125
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,651
Points 55,390
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sat, Nov 9 2013 1:29 PM

It doesn't matter much to me but that's kind of nuts. You can bet PS4 will be. I mean you've got an optical drive in there, does it cost that much to go Blu-ray? They're practically giving players away these days.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

Can this be corrected with firmware ?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,044
Points 9,705
sevags replied on Sat, Nov 9 2013 3:40 PM

None what-so-ever for me. The Xbone will be the first bluray player ever purchased by my household and it will never be used to play a single BD movie. The 3D feature on my Samsung smart TV has only been used for 1 movie just to say I've tried it before putting the 2 included glasses away for good. 3D TV's don't matter so I'd imagine the players matter even less.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

yes

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 5,605
ForumsAdministrator

The thing is, the Xbox One DOES have a Blu-ray reader... it's just that Microsoft is conscientiously deciding to ignore 3D Blu-ray. Undeniably strange, since the hardware is capable of it.

replied on Sat, Nov 9 2013 4:46 PM

WHAAAAAATTTTTTT???? NO WAY!!

replied on Sat, Nov 9 2013 4:58 PM

It can be corrected with firmware but what I dislike is the MS attitude. 3D does matter for many who spent money on their TV And want to experience 3D movies, specially for a device who want to be a media HUB, now it seems I'll still need a bluray

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15

Fail

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 579
Points 4,720
RiCoFrost replied on Sun, Nov 10 2013 5:14 PM

Isn't 3D dead?

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 225
dnw1962 replied on Mon, Nov 11 2013 10:08 PM

3D is not dead. It didn't gain the popularity that many had hoped for but it is still used by many. Personally I love it when it is done right like in Avatar.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS