Call of Duty: Ghosts Rushes Out to $1 Billion in Sales in 24 Hours

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,388
Points 1,192,360
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Nov 6 2013 1:04 PM
Let's face it, the Call of Duty franchise is practically a license to print money at this point. As if we need reminding of that, Activision sent out a press release today announcing that it sold more than $1 billion of Call of Duty: Ghosts into retail stores worldwide on the very first day of availability. Helping to reach that figure is that fact that Ghosts launched at 15,000 midnight openings around the globe.

"Call of Duty is by far the largest console franchise of this generation," said Bobby Kotick, CEO of Activision Blizzard. "More people have played Call of Duty this year than ever before, logging four billion hours of gameplay. And in the last 12 months, Call of Duty: Black Ops II, including its digital content, generated more revenues than any other console game ever has in a single year. Although it is too early to assess sell-through for Call of Duty: Ghosts, it's launching at a time when the franchise has never been more popular."

Call of Duty: Ghosts

Kotick makes a good point, and let's not forget that Sony (PlayStation 4) and Microsoft (Xbox One) have new consoles coming out later this month.

Since its release yesterday, Ghosts moved into the top spot as the most played game on Xbox Live, Microsoft says. In addition, Activision claims that the average player sessions for Ghosts on the Xbox 360 have been longer than either Black Ops II or Modern Warfare 3 during the same 24-hour time period.

What that means is that the CoD franchise is getting more popular with each new release. It has yet to hit a plateau, and even when it does, it will still be making Activision Blizzard a boatload of money.
  • | Post Points: 125
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 70

Mahmood Al Shooly :D

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 552
Points 5,060

Except that everyone I know who bought it is highly disappointed.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 135

16,666,667 customers now have buyers remorse.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,036
Points 9,635
sevags replied on Wed, Nov 6 2013 6:13 PM

I really disliked black ops II with all the futuristic add ons like jetpacks and it left a sour enough taste in my mouth that I am not excited about Ghosts at all I feel like it is more of an update or mod than an actual new game (I don't play single player story mode, only online multiplayer). What make this an even worse buy is that the new generation consoles are only a week away! While this game is designed for PS3 and 360! So it feels like $1billion was spent on a game meant for old consoles. I will definitely be waiting for a true new gen version of the Call Of Duty franchise and will be skipping Ghosts.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 97
Points 1,005
KOwen replied on Wed, Nov 6 2013 7:31 PM

"Call of Duty: Ghosts, it's launching at a time when the franchise has never been more"... stagnant.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

-_- Really People?

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 110

Those poor poor souls.......... lol

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 130
NateKeen replied on Wed, Nov 6 2013 11:28 PM

10,000,000 parents wasted their money buying this for their kids

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
Cryoburner replied on Sun, Nov 10 2013 11:16 PM

"Except that everyone I know who bought it is highly disappointed."

Perhaps they'll learn to check multiple reviews and listen to user feedback next time before buying a game based on a series name alone. Really, people need to learn to not pre-order games and pick them up day one before hearing anything about them, since this gives publishers little reason to invest more than the bare minimum necessary to create a game. Activision has already made hundreds of millions on a mediocre sequel that cost them a tiny fraction of that to produce, so what motivation will they have to create better games in the future?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS