Microsoft Admits Windows 8.1 Update May Bork Your Mouse, Promises a Fix

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,742
Points 1,209,640
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Nov 3 2013 9:41 AM
Microsoft has several valid reasons why you should upgrade to Windows 8.1, which is free if you already own Windows 8. However, there's a known issue that might give some gamers pause before clicking through in the Windows Store. There have been complaints of mouse problems after applying the Windows 8.1 update, most of which have been related to lag in video games, though Microsoft confirmed there are other potential quirks.

Acknowledging the problem is one thing, but Microsoft says it's also actively investigating the issues and working on a patch.

Logitech g700s Mouse

"First off, we want to thank our gaming community for the detailed feedback many of you have provided on these issues. While we don’t have a date yet for the release of a fix, we are working to get these issues resolved as quickly as possible," a Microsoft forum moderator posted on the company's community forum. "The 'mouse lag' issue is actually several different issues that could vary based on the game, input methods used, etc. There are a few workarounds that have been found to help some of these issues, which we list below."

There are three issues Microsoft says its working to fix. They include mouse jittering as you move it through a game, mouse movement not being to scale even after acceleration is turned off, and measured mouse polling rate having a lower reporting frequency than expected. Microsoft seems to have found the culprit for the jitter issue, which "occurs in some games because Windows 8.1 handles the games' checks for the mouse status different."

Disable Scaling

If you find that your mouse won't reach all areas of a game in Windows 8.1, the company suggests disabling DPI scaling (right-click the game's icon, select Properties, select the Compatibility tab, and check the box next to Disable display scaling on high DPI settings).

Have you run into any mouse-related issues in Windows 8.1?
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 635
Points 5,705
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Sun, Nov 3 2013 10:38 AM

I haven't run into a mouse-related issue, but because upgrading to 8.1 effectively reinstalls the OS, everyone's bound to run into SOME issue. After upgrading, I had to reconfigure my VMware's networking properties, reinstall my mouse software (mouse still worked, the software was just broken), and reinstall my audio driver.

It's also worth noting that upgrading will leave a Windows.old folder on your C:\, which you can remove by using the Disk Cleanup > System Files utility.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

No kidding!!!! I have a HP mouse, and a Microsoft mouse. Both of them are bluetooth and I can't go 15-20 min without having to turn the power switch off and back on again on the mouse!

Of the two graphics cards on my laptop; the Intel 4000 and the Radeon 2600 the upgrade disabled the Radeon. After upgrading the drivers twice and installing them four times I think it may have decided to behave.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 35
JoeJanes replied on Sun, Nov 3 2013 12:13 PM

Microsoft Admits Windows 8.1 Update May Bork Your Mouse, Promises a Fix. Huh?

Bork: "obstruct (someone, esp. a candidate for public office) through systematic defamation or vilification."

Microsoft Admits Windows 8.1 Update May Systematically Defame Your Mouse, Promises a Fix.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 48
Points 600

WHAT????!!!! I noticed a great deal of horizontal lag when using my old Logitech G5 and so got a new mouse. It just happens to be the one pictured above, too - the G700s. The odd thing is is that there's been no mouse lag issue with this one.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Yea my mouse got kinda borking after updating, seems ok now though. Good job Microsoft You Mouse Borking Dips! lol

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,690
Points 55,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sun, Nov 3 2013 5:09 PM

In this case, I think Paul was using the Urban Dictionary definition: "To Bork is to break in almost any way. can be used to completely replace "break" esp. pertains to rendering software done (aka borked, broken) or completely unusable, similar to bricking as well..."

But likely not the second Urban Dictionary listing, "Exclamation commonly used by muppet swedes."

Heh

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,385
Points 31,075
rrplay replied on Sun, Nov 3 2013 6:20 PM

Dave_HH:

In this case, I think Paul was using the Urban Dictionary definition: "To Bork is to break in almost any way. can be used to completely replace "break" esp. pertains to rendering software done (aka borked, broken) or completely unusable, similar to bricking as well..." 

At times Windows 'something this -something that' can be a pita 
but appreciate the explanation as to What's in a Bork

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 218
Points 2,235

Anyone who reads my stuff should probably bookmark this site's homepage:

http://onlineslangdictionary.com/meaning-definition-of/bork

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

my mouse completely turns off all on its own....i need to reinstall windows every freaking day at this point and the fix only lasts a couple hours...............really frustrating....its not any of these problems though.....i own 4mice(dont ask) and all of them have this issue its like a lil kid keeps unplugging my mouse....it reacts fine dpi wise....untill its just shutsdown

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS