Apple 27-Inch iMac (Late 2013) Review, Haswell Inside

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,818
Points 1,166,620
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Oct 28 2013 11:36 AM

Apple 27-Inch iMac (Late 2013) Review, Haswell InsideIt's hard to believe there's a full fledged system packed inside Apple's slim and sexy iMac chassis. It was roughly a year ago when Apple revamped its all-in-one line, tasking the company's engineers to flatten the design as much as possible without sacrificing performance. What emerged was a sleek display measuring just 5mm at its edge with up to 40 percent less volume than the previous generation. It was such a radical design change that Apple had to abandon traditional welding methods in favor of a process called friction-stir welding, which combines friction-generated heat and pressure to force molecules from two separate aluminum surfaces to mingle with one another.

Apple's late 2013 edition iMacs are largely unchanged in external form, though they're upgraded in function with a revamped foundation that now pairs Intel's 4th Generation Core processors with NVIDIA's GeForce 700 Series graphics...

Apple 27-Inch iMac (Late 2013) Review, Haswell Inside

• | Post Points: 80
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 480
Points 3,820
RiCoFrost replied on Mon, Oct 28 2013 8:31 PM

I really don't like the mac os or the price tag for what you get, however it does look nice.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 71
Points 755
basroil replied on Mon, Oct 28 2013 10:38 PM

"Boot Camp allows you to run Windows without a perforance hit"

Maybe that would be true if the drivers weren't absolute garbage, but as it stands there's a pretty significant impact in performance, especially if you include energy performance.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30
SJobbs replied on Mon, Oct 28 2013 11:37 PM

Nice going to pit the iMac using an i5 against machines using i7 processors. You should have gotten a fully equipped i7 Mac with a maxed out build.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 40

Error spotted!

On the "Windows 7 Bootcamp" benchmark page, the Screengrab for "Futuremark 3DMark11" says the score was: P 3 0 6 8, but the bargraph says the score was 3 6 0 8. The 6 and 0 were switched, giving the Imac an even bigger lead. Schoolboy error! :P

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,542
Points 54,455
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 10:14 AM

Error noted and corrected. No need for the insults. It's called a typo and pros, as well as schoolboys make them. By the way, it's iMac, not "Imac." :P

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 208
Points 2,180
Paul_Lilly replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 11:53 AM

Don't know where you're getting that information from, but it's just flat out wrong. There is no performance hit and the drivers are no different than any other Windows system -- Boot Camp creates a partition on which you directly install Windows. It's not a virtualized or otherwise emulated environment. Windows runs at full speed, just like on any other system.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 40

Sorry Dave, that wasn't meant to be taken as an insult. On the Imac thing, I do it deliberately, I don't like Apple's misuse of capitalisation ;)

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,542
Points 54,455
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sun, Nov 3 2013 8:55 PM

Hold-up, "schoolboy error!" was not meant to be an insult? I wonder. Is it proper to hyphenate the words "passive-aggressive"?

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
GemmaTodd replied on Fri, Nov 22 2013 4:53 AM

Screen looks beautiful. Looking forward to new res, will help alot.
Brother just wondering whether to upgrade, but screen not turning on. Looked at this site, anyone else had similar issues with these newer iMacs?
still looking forward to get a new one myself. 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS