Battlefield 4 Creative Director Extols Virtues of Linux as a Gaming Platform

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,884
Points 1,116,980
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Oct 13 2013 10:06 AM
It used to be laughable to think of Linux as a preferred gaming platform. Sure, emulators like Wine made a gamer's life a little easier on Linus, but things like driver issues and lack of native titles have always prevented Linux from stepping into the gaming limelight, at least until now. We're not sure if a tectonic shift is occurring right before our very eyes, but there's no denying there's a major push towards getting gamers to embrace the open source operating system over Windows.

We're seeing it primarily from Valve with its upcoming SteamOS and Steam Machine boxes, though also from developers. Lars Gustavsson, the Creative Director of DICE who has worked on nearly every Battlefield game since the first prototype, believes Linux is just a single "killer" game away from blasting into the mainstream market.

BF4 Linux

"We strongly want to get into Linux for a reason," Gustavsson told Polygon. "It took halo for the first Xbox to kick off and go crazy. Usually, it takes one killer app or game and then people are more than willing. It is not hard to get your hands on Linux, for example, it only takes one game that motivates you to go there."

Suffice to say, Gustavsson is super excited about what Valve is doing with Linux. Whether or not Steam Machines will turn the tide remains to be seen, but if nothing else, a little competition doesn't hurt. Gustavsson likens the situation now to the VHS era.

"You know, was the VHS tape better than BetaMax? VHS won," Gustavvson says. "So it does not always go in the right direction but overall I think it is healthy with competition."
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 579
Points 5,260
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Sun, Oct 13 2013 12:45 PM

Is it fine if that kind of talk gets me hot and bothered?

This needs to be the year where everyone dresses up as Tux for Halloween.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,477
Points 53,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sun, Oct 13 2013 1:37 PM

Battlefield 4 could be the killer app Gustavsson was speaking of. They should do it!

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Not Ranked
Posts 44
Points 485
semitope replied on Sun, Oct 13 2013 2:48 PM

the difference is that the Xbox is simple. Plug it in and you are a go. Linux... no. Then there is windows which has a whole lot more to offer than a killer app game. To get people to switch to linux wouldn't be that simple. Installing a new OS that will likely have to be beside windows isn't for everyone and running that OS just to play a killer app is a hassle.

Maybe sometime in the future. Steam machines are all well and good, but being linux only will be an issue for some. But then who will invest in the OS like microsoft invests in improving windows?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,439
Points 102,180
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Oct 13 2013 3:29 PM

I'm more than willing to try it out. (waiting in Virginia)

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 187
Points 2,015
Johnny3D replied on Mon, Oct 14 2013 4:24 PM

I'd install Linux on another drive in my system, but Linux just doesn't have the application support that I need to have it be my "daily driver" OS.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 331
Points 2,415

I concur with Johnny3D.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS