Acer Debuts C720 Chromebook With Intel Haswell For $249.99

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,095
Points 1,183,405
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Oct 10 2013 12:27 AM
Acer announced its new generation of Chromebooks, and as we mentioned a month ago, these machines have Intel (Haswell) processors inside. In the case of the first model in the series, the C720-2800, it’s an Intel Celeron 2955U chip; it may be disappointing that it’s not at least a Core series processor, but remember that these Chromebooks don’t demand the same processing power as a full-size laptop running Windows.

Acer C720 Chromebook

The 11.6-inch display (1366x768 resolution) features a matte finish with anti-glare for better visibility even in bright environments. The whole notebook weighs 2.76 lbs, and at 0.75 inches thick, it’s 30% slimmer than Acer’s previous-gen Chromebook, the C710.

Acer C720 Chromebook

The C720 also features 16GB SSD storage (and of course Google Drive online storage), 4GB of DDR3L RAM, an integrated HD webcam, a microphone, dual speakers, and 802.11a/b/g/n WiFi. Ports include USB 3.0, USB 2.0, and HDMI, and there’s an SD card reader and a Kensington lock on board, too. The battery purports to last for 8.5 hours.

Acer C720 Chromebook

Though the C720-2800 is the first model in the series, more configurations are coming within weeks. They include a standard one-year parts and labor warranty with the option to bump up to three years with the Acer Advantage service.

The Acer C720 Chromebook will cost $249.99, and it’s available for preorder how at Amazon and Best Buy.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 998
Points 9,235
sevags replied on Thu, Oct 10 2013 2:25 PM

Why is the kensington lock port even mentioned as a feature, a very very VERY small % of people use the kensington lock and those that do are probably trying to protect hardware that costs a lot more than $250. Besides I never understood this feature it is a simple oval hole definitely not some super secure lock feature and there are many videos online on how to easily circumvent this security feature.

Same with the warranty, would someone actually want to pay extra (clearly shoppers are trying to save money with this device not spend more) for 2 years of extra warranty on such a cheap low end device.

Anyway, I am not an Acer fan but I am glad their chromebooks are doing well for them. I still haven't seen anyone using chromebooks in the wild, wonder what they are being used for exactly that the alternatives aren't doing.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 234
Points 1,820
ForumsAdministrator
scolaner replied on Fri, Oct 11 2013 11:54 AM

sevags, those features you mentioned aren't very interesting for most of us (myself included), but a lot of schools and some businesses will deploy fleets of these things. Thus, the ability to lock them up to a cart or what have you, and also the option for extended warranties, is a big deal for some of the prime consumers of these things.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS