Samsung’s Galaxy ROUND Android Smartphone Arrives With Its Curved OLED Display

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,195
Points 1,186,420
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, Oct 9 2013 12:48 AM
It appears that’s a “yes” on Samsung beating LG to market with a curved-display smartphone. Samsung announced that the Samsung Galaxy ROUND smartphone is available, and the 5.7-inch Full HD Super AMOLED display is indeed delicately concave.

Before you get excited, here’s the bad news: It’s only available in Korea, at least for now. We know, we know. Buck up. Here’s what’s under the hood: There’s a quad-core 2.3GHz MSM 8974 Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 (Krait) SoC, 3GB of RAM, 32GB of onboard storage, and a 13MP autofocus (with flash) rear and 2MP front-facing cameras.

Samsung Galaxy Round smartphone curved display

Images, credit: Samsung

The phone runs Android 4.3 (Jelly Bean) and has a USB 3.0 port as well as LTE, WiFi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, WiFi Direct, Bluetooth 4.0, GPS+GLONASS, and NFC for connectivity.

Samsung Galaxy Round smartphone curved display

There are a few features Samsung developed based on the fact that the device is curved, and the primary one is the Roll Effect. Basically, you can gently tilt the device to see the date, the time, notifications, and more even when the home screen is off. With the music player running, tilts can be used to control tracks, too.

There’s no word on pricing, nor on when or if the Galaxy ROUND will land on U.S. shores.
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670

Think u meant to write 13mp rear and 2mp front...them high quality selfies :D

I can see the benefits of this phone, but I think it would be more of an inconvience then the benefits add.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 9,505
sevags replied on Wed, Oct 9 2013 2:16 AM

This is amazing! Where is the downside? It helps makes it harder for those around you to see what ou are looking at on the phone, fits better against the hand and maybe ear, in your pocket it wraps more naturally around the thigh, and the tilt controls sound really neat!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,594
Points 54,955
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Wed, Oct 9 2013 8:15 AM

Noted and corrected, Inspector. And I SO want one of these. I bet the viewing angles might get a little weird at times but when straight on it probably enhances the view, so it's a wash maybe. Drop this thing in your pocket the right way and it conforms to your leg better too!

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,594
Points 54,955
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Wed, Oct 9 2013 8:16 AM

Totally agreed. They need to bring this out in the US and I'm sure they will bring some version of it eventually.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,795
Points 40,670
Inspector replied on Wed, Oct 9 2013 12:37 PM

Yea it would take some getting use to. Coming from my perspective is that I use my device flat on the table a lot so the curve would be an inconvience for me. It does look nice from the updated pics.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 234
Points 1,820
ForumsAdministrator

Honestly, my knee jerk reaction to this was "Meh". I kind of feel like this is more of a proof-of-concept, first-to-market kind of thing. Curved and *flexible* displays will be mind-blowing. This just seems like a smartphone...but curved.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 216
Points 2,135
SmogHog replied on Wed, Oct 9 2013 9:54 PM

Available only in Luxury Brown color from SK Telecom listed for 1,089,000 Korean Won(including VAT1,075KW = $1.00US

I'll go look at it today and see what the no money down 2 year contract monthly is for the same plan as the Note 3 listed below.

The Note 3 has some better deals going on from Korea Telecom,has the pen and better battery.

250 minutes

300 texts

2.5GB data

50,000KW per month LTE-A

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 358
Points 2,565

Thats a sweet looking handset.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS