Origin PC Ditching AMD GPUs, Goes All In With NVIDIA

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,696
Points 1,156,945
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Oct 5 2013 12:29 PM

While AMD just announced a whole new line of graphics cards, which generally results in system builders announcing new configuration options with the impending products inside, at least one boutique builder is going in another direction entirely--all the way in the other direction, actually.

Origin PC CEO and co-founder Kevin Wasielewski told us that the company is no longer offering AMD GPUs in its systems and will solely provide NVIDIA graphics options. His reasons were initially vague: “This decision was based on a combination of many factors including customer experiences, GPU performance/drivers/stability, and requests from our support staff. Based on our 15+ years of experience building and selling award winning high-performance PCs, we strongly feel the best PC gaming experience is on NVIDIA GPUs,” he said.

AMD Radeon HD 7990
  AMD Radeon HD 7990

Wasielewski offered a further clarifying statement from Alvaro Masis, one of Origin’s technical support managers, who said, “Primarily the overall issues have been stability of the cards, overheating, performance, scaling, and the amount of time to receive new drivers on both desktop and mobile GPUs.”

Wasielewski assured us that there is no industry skullduggery here, but that simply Origin is working to provide customers with the best possible hardware options for its customers. In his view, that means AMD's GPUs aren't up to snuff. Note that Origin will continue to provide AMD CPU options with its systems; at the very least, the dumping of AMD graphics is about NVIDIA graphics versus AMD graphics, not about AMD as a whole.

Origin Genesis, now only with NVIDIA GPUs

Origin Genesis, now only with NVIDIA GPUs

Although higher failure rates of AMD graphics cards are mostly hearsay, we have seen our share of issues with AMD Radeon GPUs in CrossFire configurations, such as in this review.

Regardless, even assuming that AMD GPUs have caused Origin some problems, it seems to be an overly drastic move to cut them out of the product lineup entirely. Surely there are plenty of customers who prefer AMD GPUs, or at least want the option?

We’ve reached out to AMD for a statement and will update accordingly.

• | Post Points: 275
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,560
Points 103,055
MembershipAdministrator

They should continue to give customers their choice of brands.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 125

"we have seen our share of issues with AMD Radeon GPUs in SLI configurations" Im surprised they even got SLI to work.

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 125

"we have seen our share of issues with AMD Radeon GPUs in SLI configurations" Im surprised they even got SLI to work.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 115
Points 875

Considering SLI is only nvidia.

Not Ranked
Posts 20
Points 115

Love u Origin PC Corporation :D <3 ur the best!

Not Ranked
Posts 26
Points 230

Anyone who buys anything associated with EA/Origin is a fool.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20

You're a fool to think this company is associated with EA

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15

http://puu.sh/4IRex.png

They fixed it apparently

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15

Ita amazing what a massive bribe will do

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30

you mean crossfire right ??/

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

I wonder how overpriced these pc's will be now

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 120

Thank god. I hate AMD GPUs.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 40

Why go with something that is not going to last. AMD is fading away...

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

@WarrenEarls This company has absolutely no association with EA or EA's Origin. In fact, they were Origin PCs long before the Origin desktop client came out.

@GeorgeSafford I actually doubt that AMD is going away. They scored the hardware deals with the newest consoles. I suspect they'll be here beyond this generation of consoles to provide the enthusiasts with CPUs/GPUs/APUs in the desktop field.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,537
Points 54,400
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sun, Oct 6 2013 11:55 AM

I personally think it's a bit short-sighted to make this decision and then make an announcement about it. It's one thing to make a business decision but it seems to me, at least on the GPU side, Origin is burning a bridge here by rolling out a press release on it. That said, we report the news and this obviously is newsworthy. So be it.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Why?

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15

SLI is Nvidia haha

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15

Majority of games released are fully backed by AMD, Origin is just jumping on the Nvidia bandwagon. They must be buying into all those "features" over AMD's raw power

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

I have difficulty believing that there were not concessions made, or deals arranged for this to go through. Everyone else can get AMD cards to work except Origin? Right. Kinda reminds me of the Dell - Intel partnership years ago.

Page 1 of 1 (20 items) | RSS