Behold, The Valve Steam Controller

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,875
Points 1,116,275
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Sep 27 2013 1:19 PM
First, Valve announced SteamOS; then they announced the Steam Machines beta project, which in due time will bring a Valve-made gaming device as well as a host of others; and the third and final announcement of the week is the Steam Controller, which Valve bills as a “different kind of gamepad”.

As part of Valve’s major play for the living room, the company wanted to seriously revisit the concept of input. Mouse-and-keyboard is simply too cumbersome for the living room, and Valve felt that current game controllers left too much to be desired, as well.

Valve Steam Controller

The wireless Steam Controller is designed to offer a “vastly superior control scheme” compared to other offerings, and Valve has endeavored to deliver better resolution, fidelity, and precision with low latency.

The device will play all Steam games--even older titles that weren’t built for anything but mouse and keyboard input--and it features dual circular trackpads that are clickable; a touchscreen in the middle of the device (that is also clickable) that overlays your input on the big screen; and sixteen total buttons, including left and right shoulder buttons, A/B/X/Y buttons, and more.

Example of Valve Steam Controller bindings
Example of Valve Steam Controller bindings

It should come as no surprise that the Steam Controller is fully hackable, and it’s part of the Steam Machine beta, so if you get in, you get a controller, too. However, the beta version won’t have the touch screen, and it won’t be wireless. However, you will be able to use the Steam Controller on non-Steam Machines, which is a smart feature by Valve.

Valve Steam Controller exploded

You’ll be able to get your hands on the Steam Controller next year when the Steam Machines start marching off the assembly lines.
  • | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 100

I think this can work great, however I was hoping for something the incorporated some type of condensed keyboard so you can still type.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,477
Points 53,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Sep 27 2013 7:10 PM

Still, I think it's kinda hot! Will be interesting to see if it helps actual game play much.

And you have a cool avatar, PE. :)

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 43
Points 335

Even a non-gamer like me is intrigued.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,436
Points 102,165
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 12:10 AM

Agreed.  It's interesting, and I'll look forward to reviews on it.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 897
Points 8,310
sevags replied on Sat, Sep 28 2013 5:09 PM

The controller looks interesting but I do not think I would prefer it over a traditional controller. Touch pads seem like they would be awkward, offer no tactile feel for how much you are pushing the toggle, and offer no spring back feedback. Looks good, probably won't be good.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS