Bill Gates Admits He Made Mistakes, Ctrl-Alt-Delete Was One of Them

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,885
Points 1,173,295
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Sep 26 2013 11:08 AM
Bill Gates was and is a genius, and his brilliance and leadership brought to life the juggernaut that is Microsoft, but of course, he and his company made some missteps along the way. (And continue to do so.) Some of them were large, some were tiny, but something that millions of users had to live with every day was the Ctrl+Alt+Del keyboard command.

Originally developed by early coders as a way to quickly soft boot a machine that was acting up, Microsoft took the command and baked it into Windows. It became a tool for bringing up the Task Manager as well as for logging in to Windows.

Bill Gates Ctrl+Alt+Del

In an onstage interview with David Rubenstein, Gates admitted that using the command for logging in was a mistake. Rubenstein posed the question as a non-sequitur: “Why, when I want to turn on my software and computer, do I need to have three fingers on Control, Alt, Delete?” (Skip to about the 16:30 mark.)

Gates replied seriously, by explaining that essentially it was a way to ensure that when you brought up the operating system, it was the actual operating system and not some software that was going to jack your password. He said that originally Microsoft wanted to have a single button that would do the same thing, but the IBM keyboard designers didn’t want to give them their own button.

Eventually though, to a big laugh from the audience, Gates admitted: “It was a mistake.” An interesting bit of computer history, that, and a funny, candid admission from Gates himself.
  • | Post Points: 140
Not Ranked
Posts 19
Points 215

Windows vista was another one

• | Post Points: 5
replied on Thu, Sep 26 2013 2:12 PM

windows xp was the best

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 70

Windows Me also.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 70

Winodws 8 after lots of testing, surpasses windows xp , let say windows 8 have now same level as apple why,

windows have some coding of apple in it.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 70

the Panther Os, you ll find it in c:.... windows.... panther

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

Bill go to hell! Or?

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/32700000/Penguins-of-madagascar-penguins-of-madagascar-32736374-500-511.png

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,577
Points 103,215
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, Sep 26 2013 8:47 PM

Don't forget Microsoft Bob folks!

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15

Don't forget my favorite, Bob. It was so bad that he had to marry the program manager. If I remember correctly.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 983
Points 9,085
sevags replied on Fri, Sep 27 2013 10:18 AM

Windows ME was the first OS, Windows7 was the best. Yes ME is much worse than Vista, and 7 is way better than XP.

I like ctrl alt del lol

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 983
Points 9,085
sevags replied on Fri, Sep 27 2013 10:19 AM

First-=worst

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS