HP Bakes Leap Motion Controller Into Intel Haswell Notebook

rated by 0 users
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,882
Points 1,116,775
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Sep 19 2013 11:08 AM
Months after promising to embed Leap Motion technology into select PCs, HP has delivered with the HP Envy 17 Leap Motion Special Edition (SE). Leap Motion developed technology that lets the user control the computer with two hands and ten fingers moving through the air. You can buy a Leap Motion controller outright, but this is the first time the technology has shipped on board a PC.

HP Envy 17 Leap Motion SE

The controller is embedded in a “little speed bump in the wrist rest area” just to the right of trackpad, and judging from the video that HP posted of the technology in action, it looks like the Leap Motion tech is fairly responsive and can read hand gestures that are several inches off of the keyboard area.

In the base configuration, the HP Envy 17 Leap Motion SE boasts an Intel Core i7 (Haswell) chip, NVIDIA graphics, 8GB of RAM, and 1TB (5400 RPM) hard drive. The machine will be available on October 16th, starting at $1,049.99.
  • | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
BobStaaf replied on Thu, Sep 19 2013 12:54 PM

Honestly I think Leap Motion is not quite ready for prime time. It is a great concept but I think it needs more development. I was an early adopter, per-ordered it and when it arrived I spent a week with it and it is now sitting in it's box.

I will likely be going with the Kinect for Windows instead...

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 75

Now it begins to be mainstream. Have you ever tried Leap?

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS