Microsoft To Tap Halo Franchise With 'Cortana' Siri Competitive Assistant For Windows Phone

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,867
Points 1,116,145
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Sep 13 2013 10:57 AM
After a leaked screenshot of a Nokia Lumia 920 running Windows Phone 8.1 showed, among other things, an app called “zCortana”, many speculated that Microsoft was developing a personal digital assistant in the vein of Siri.

Nothing has happened since then to change that perception, and in fact whispers, rumors, and photos indicate that it’s coming along quite nicely and may be more than just Siri wannabe.

Cortana, Microsoft's code for its Siri competitor

Tom Warren posted a screenshot showing Cortana’s involvement with weather alerts, calendar synchronization, and an ability to pin others to your Start screen. Mary Jo Foley of ZDNET cited sources that say Cortana, though she will “interact” with users via voice commands, will be even more powerful than a Siri or a Google Now; powered by Bing’s knowledge repository “Satori”, Cortana will be part of the system’s shell.

Cortana will possibly be part of the “core services and experience” of more than Windows Phone, too, extending to Xbox One and even Windows.

Windows Phone 8.1 Cortana
Credit: Tom Warren

All that said, Microsoft has stated that it won’t release Cortana or anything like her until they have it ready for prime time. In other words, Cortana is too valuable an innovation and too complex an endeavor to push out quickly just to keep pace with Apple and Google.

Although we eagerly anticipate being able to play with Cortana, it’s wise for Microsoft to take a cautious approach to her release; the last thing Microsoft needs right now is another half-baked and unpopular product in the wild.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,861
Points 24,255
digitaldd replied on Fri, Sep 13 2013 1:59 PM

i don't know what's funnier, calling it 'Significant other' or that microsfot own the domain xbone.com 

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57602588-75/microsoft-scores-xbone.com-domain-name/

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Fri, Sep 13 2013 7:44 PM

This is the best idea microsoft has possibly ever had. This one improvement alone will ultimately lead me to buying the next available smartphone. I love cortana and the Halo series more than any other game franchise the has or possibly ever will exist.

Thank you microsoft, you stupid, great not just a software company.

(a tear rolls down my face)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,477
Points 53,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sun, Sep 15 2013 12:32 AM

HA! AK, you got a little misty there bud. All for Windows Phone? :)

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS