Microsoft Not Giving Up On Surface, Plans Launch Event For September 23 in NYC

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,884
Points 1,116,920
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Sep 10 2013 2:14 AM
Despite taking a monumental $900 million inventory charge for unsold Surface RT units, Microsoft is committed to seeing the Surface plan through... at least for one more generation. It's not news that the original Surface has had quite a time gaining traction with the iPad still soaking up market share, but unlike the Kin, Microsoft's not throwing in the towel just yet. The tablet market as a whole still has plenty of time to mature, and Microsoft has a huge brand to leverage.

While little is known about what Surface 2.0 will bring, Microsoft has all intentions of making a major deal out of it. The company has planned a showcase event for September 23rd in New York City, just weeks after Apple's own event in Cupertino, California. It could be a very interesting time for Microsoft. It's unlikely that Apple will update its iPad line prior to the holidays, while Microsoft will almost certainly launch the new Surface prior to the holidays.

It could be Microsoft's golden chance to jump on Apple's market while the iPads are a bit older; guess we'll see what happens in just a few weeks!
  • | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 48
Points 390

why would the RT's " success " make them drop the surface ? surface pro is a great device

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 897
Points 8,310
sevags replied on Tue, Sep 10 2013 10:24 AM

There are a lot of rumors floating around out there about the new specs suprised HH didn't at least touch on some of them. A few of the rumors that are most likely true are the upgrade to Haswell, 8gb ram, an "improved" kickstand, NFC, and a click-cover keyboard with built in extended battery.

I am really torn here, after I decided to hold out on the Surface Pro at launch I waited for any sort of haswell update and I've been waiting for months. I NEED a new computer badly mainly for work and was about to jump the gun this week on a new decked out MacBook Air with rumors putting the surface pro2 as far out as December. Now with a reveal so close I'm not sure if I should wait to compare the 2 or not??? My bday happens to be he 27th so maybe the pro2 is worth waiting for? I dunnoooo

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 897
Points 8,310
sevags replied on Tue, Sep 10 2013 10:26 AM

Oh also wireless .11ac

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS