Intel Planning Overclocking Feature For Solid State Drives

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,879
Points 1,116,685
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Aug 30 2013 11:11 AM
It appears that Intel, long an enabler of overclocking processors, wants to overclock everything, starting with SSDs. At September’s Intel Developers Forum (IDF) in San Francisco, Intel scheduled a session that covers a number of overclocking topics, including “Demonstrating overclocking SSD technology”.

There’s virtually no information available as to what exactly that means, but Alan Frost, marketing communications manager for Intel told ComputerWorld that “"This is a product we're looking into but we have not released yet. So I'm not able to go into great detail about a future product ... as far as specs and such."

Overclock

It appears, though, that an SSD overclocking tool would let users adjust the percentage of the SSD that is used for data compression. Still, discussions are ongoing at a high level, so it’s possible that the session would coverage more theoretical overclocking capabilities as opposed to revealing an actual product.

Intel DC S3700 SSD
Intel DC S3700 SSD

The session, which is titled “Overclocking Unlocked Intel Core Processors for High Performance Gaming and Content Creation” will also cover topics on overclocking Intel Core i7-4xxx processors on X79 chipset platforms, live overclocking demos using hardware and software, a live demo overclocking the Intel Core i7-4xxx Extreme Edition processor, and a demo of the AppTune beta (which is based on Intel’s Extreme Tuning Utility).
  • | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 100

I don't know, something tells me I don't want to OC my SSD and risk my data. :)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 227
Points 1,740
ForumsAdministrator
scolaner replied on Fri, Aug 30 2013 3:54 PM

Keep your data on a big fat 2TB storage drive and run your applications on the SSD. Bada bing, bada boom. Worst case, you're reinstalling.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 45
LoganFarr replied on Fri, Aug 30 2013 6:26 PM

Yay! They're finding something else to sell the masses "unlocked" for 50 extra bucks! Gotta love Intel.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,437
Points 102,170
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, Sep 3 2013 12:48 PM

LoganFarr:

Yay! They're finding something else to sell the masses "unlocked" for 50 extra bucks! Gotta love Intel.

Just like they tried to do with CPUs    There are plenty of other SSDs that go fast right out of the box,....buy one of those.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS