Best Keyboard Shortcut Ever Ctrl-Shift-T Recovers Last Closed Tab in Chrome (and Other Browser)

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,825
Points 1,167,315
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Aug 26 2013 10:33 AM
Life is a lot easier when you have second chances. Golfers can take mulligans if they shank the ball and land it in the drink, and if you fault a serve in tennis, you're given a second attempt to get it right before it counts against you. Unfortunately, everyday life doesn't have a "do-over" button, but using a little three-finger magic, you can resurrect a closed tab in just about any browser.

Listen, we know this is old hat for most you, so why bring it up? Simply put, it's one of the more handy keyboard shortcuts to remember (for us, anyway) considering how much time we spend on the web and how important tabs have become to the browsing experience. If even just one person learns this shortcut who didn't know it previously, we'll feel accomplished.

Browser Tips
Image Source (altered): Flickr (timatymusic)

So should Melia Robinson, a reporter for BusinessInsider who posted the shortcut on Twitter as her #keyboardshortcutoftheweek. She specifically calls out Chrome, but it also works in Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Opera. What about Safari, you ask? For the few of you rocking Apple's browser in Windows, the magical combination to restore an accidentally closed tab is CTRL+Z (Command+Z on Macs).

Do you have a favorite keyboard shortcut? If so, share it with us and your fellow readers in the comments section below!
  • | Post Points: 80
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
JanYap replied on Mon, Aug 26 2013 11:53 AM

not if you are in CTRL + SHIFT + N in CHROME. 8-)

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 60
BenJordan replied on Mon, Aug 26 2013 12:34 PM

Welcome to 2008!

Not Ranked
Posts 54
Points 520
BurntChz replied on Mon, Aug 26 2013 2:52 PM

I like SHIFT + DELETE, no chance of CTRL + Z after that. :)

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 608
Points 5,495
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Mon, Aug 26 2013 10:39 PM

I use this shortcut all the time. I only found out about it a couple of years ago when a friend randomly told me about it.

Also, fantastic photo, Paul.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 983
Points 9,085
sevags replied on Tue, Aug 27 2013 2:19 AM

Works great in IE, comes in very handy when popups cause me to click out of legitimate websites. I use it more often than ctrl T

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS