Zuckerberg and Facebook Announce Plan To Expand Internet Access with Internet.org Initiative

rated by 0 users
This post has 16 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,356
Points 1,191,525
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Aug 22 2013 11:54 AM
Is Internet access a human right? That’s the question Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg was wrestling with--”was”, because he stated in a long document that he’s come to believe that it is. And Facebook is doing something about it.

Zuckerberg and Facebook, in collaboration with “technology leaders, nonprofits, local communities, and experts”, have launched an effort to deliver affordable Internet access to the two-thirds of the world that don’t have it called Internet.org.

Internet.org

Essentially, the group has identified three key areas that need to be addressed in order for ubiquitous Internet access to be a global possibility. The three “levers” are:

-Making internet access affordable by making it more efficient to deliver data.
-Using less data by improving the efficiency of the apps and experiences we use.
-Helping businesses drive internet access by developing a new model to get people online.

Obviously, the current costs of infrastructure and other services related to providing data to smartphones (which are rapidly dropping in price) are far too high for most people on the planet, but if, as the group intends, the industry can reduce the cost by a factor of 10 (and eventually 100), it’s a different story.

It’s noteworthy that instead of simply appealing to human generosity here, the group believes that companies that provide infrastructure, Internet services, and apps can all financially benefit from the endeavor to push affordable Internet access out to the world.

Internet.org

But why exactly is Internet connectivity a human right? “The internet not only connects us to our friends, families and communities, but it is also the foundation of the global knowledge economy,” reads Facebook’s treatise. It further states:

Many dynamics of resource-based economies are zero sum. For example, if you own an oil field, then I can’t also own that same oil field. This incentivizes those with resources to hoard rather than share them. But a knowledge economy is different and encourages worldwide prosperity. It’s not zero sum. If you know something, that doesn’t stop me from knowing it too. In fact, the more things we all know, the better ideas, products and services we can all offer and the better all of our lives will be.

There is much work to be done, but there are two aspects of the endeavor that bode well for its success: One is that because companies stand to benefit both from more efficient and effective technologies and also the prospect of adding literally billions of potential customers, they’re more likely to participate in earnest. The other is that when a tech mogul like Mark Zuckerberg has a worldview that Internet access is a human right, he’s unlikely to stop pursuing the goal until he succeeds, because it isn’t simply about profit margins and empire-building.

In response to this initiative, some will remark that it’s a ridiculous goal to help people living in a third-world slum get a smartphone with a data plan while those same people still don’t have access to clean water and enough food to keep their bellies full. But that’s shortsighted; giving people access to all of the world’s information via the Internet is the most liberating development since the invention of the book.

It’s important to remember that there are quite a few brilliant minds capable of changing the world amongst the 5 billion people who have yet to access the Internet a single time. Perhaps one of those young minds will cure cancer, or figure out how to deliver clean water to the whole planet, or come up with the best way yet to harvest and distribute renewable energy.

Step 1: Give that kid the Internet.
  • | Post Points: 230
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 105

Internet access IS NOT a human right. People want access, they either need to relocate out of the sticks, or BFE, or get a job and work and pay for it like the rest of us.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20

if its not a human right,then why is it available in libraries for free like books? and who says you have the right to say what is a human right and what's not? calm down Adolf

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 105

Are you ****ing stupid ??? Internet, a human right ? People have survived thousands of years without internet, and there are far more serious problems that need addressing before worrying about getting people internet.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 70
DamianDoss replied on Thu, Aug 22 2013 12:59 PM

you Kelly, are flawed

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 105

let me guess, you think having a drivers license is a human right as well ??? That, as well as internet access, cell phones and much more are privileges.

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 105

Look what we have here, two fucking liberals who believe wealth, and privileges should be shared equally, instead of worked for and earned. Easy to see you two would be Dems and Obama supporters.

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 105

SO, ISP's, who spend millions on equipment, labor, and upkeep shouldn't be allowed a ROE on their investment and should give it all away for free ???

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 50
Points 395

A human right is a right that doesn't take away someone elses right. You don't have a right to internet, because giving you internet costs money. You're taking away someones property (which they have a right to) to give someone something.

Not Ranked
Posts 50
Points 395

Obviously doesn't mean charity and businesses can't work towards giving people the OPPORTUNITY to access internet. But it should be looked at as simply that, a charitable action or a business venture to net profit later. Not some government mandate that everyone should have access to everything, because we know where that leads.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 234
Points 1,820
ForumsAdministrator
scolaner replied on Thu, Aug 22 2013 2:12 PM

Duuuude...chill. Out. Read the whole post, and then read the whole document I linked to. Zuck's whole proposition is that this would be something that benefits everyone involved, from those building out infrastructure to mobile service providers to end users. It's SUPPOSED to be healthy ROI for all businesses. Better technology, more efficient use of resources, and a potential 5 billion new customers. Everybody wins, regardless whether you're in it for humanitarian reasons or are just trying to make a buck. As Zuck said, and as I echoed, market forces should drive this whole venture.

Although I personally am all for the government working to provide broadband to all Americans, this is not that. At all.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 45
haps replied on Thu, Aug 22 2013 2:42 PM

I started to type out an explanation for you KellyMichaels, but based on your (hilarious) posts I can tell it would be a waste of time. In particular I like how Damian saying you are flawed = LIBERAL COMMIE SCUM! ROB THE RICH! FEED THE LAZY! Humans have existed for "thousands" of years without having to be solely defined by their alignment to red or blue.

I hope you can expand your horizons, or at least lay off the Fox news.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20

http://www.popsci.com/technology/article/2013-02/fcc-proposes-national-free-super-wifi-network and for information I never voted for Obama or support him in anyway and heres some information for you sorry for your disappointment

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 70

Kelly Michaels if you are frustrated with the people who like obama or else please go live in another planet, its their right to like who ever they want to.

ISP are first Thief, their is no law against them, no regulation to them they do whatever they want and they change contract as they like they higher prices and give you less as they do here in Canada for sure in USA have same result.

What i think of ISP "their is to many many ISP for nothing each one try to screw customer on their own way. it is time to have Free Internet so ISP knows what customer feel. if their is lost of jobs, no one asked them to dream too much in their american dream, be more realistic stop too much dreaming. people cant no longer afford thing time come to have free. "

but when come to innocent employees their is an unfairness to it. but their is a law of life, the big eat the small. let us see how facebook will survive it, if he doesn't loose lots of money in court.

But still when comes about Facebook and Suckerberg its really fishy i wonder if he will not charge us later for it.

Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 105

As for you Fumblemuck, don't dodge the point, you tried to defend. Having internet access IS NOT A HUMAN RIGHT. Please explain and why you think it is/should be. You're certainly not a conservative or Republican, since you believe in taking form the " people who have, and work" and providing to the poor. Somebody has to pay to provide to the worthless, lazy, good for nothing poor people, and those people who pay will be the American taxpayers. We already pay enough to keep inmates, illegals, and many others up in free government handouts,

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20

not defending anything I could care less I just like pissing people off who have their ass on their shoulders namely you and apparently it worked have a nice day dumbass

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 171
Points 1,150

I think everyone has the right to access it but that doesnt mean we need to provide it for them

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS