Wi-Fi Enabled Tooth Sensor Tells Doctors If You've Been Overeating or Smoking

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,870
Points 1,116,205
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Jul 28 2013 11:52 AM
Researchers at National Taiwan University have developed a tiny sensor that can be embedded into a tooth cavity, dentures, or braces to stop you from lying through your teeth, in a manner of speaking. The sensor is able to detect with nearly 94 percent accuracy common oral activities such as chewing, drinking, speaking, and coughing. The end goal of something like this is to enable healthcare applications, such as fluid or intake monitoring, or to tell if a patient has been smoking.

There have been other similar sensors before, but rather than being placed on the body, this one goes inside the body, right in the mouth. According to the researchers who developed the device, the advantage of this placement is that it's able to more accurately capture the motion of oral activities.

Tooth Sensor
Image Source: National Taiwan University

"Because the mouth is an opening into human health, this oral sensory system has the potential to enhance oral-related healthcare monitoring applications such as dietary tracking," the researchers say.

The sensor is an accelerometer that analyzes unique mouth movements for different oral activities. The breakout board that it's attached to measures 4.5mm by 10mm, small enough to be placed inside a tooth or dental equipment. It's coated with dental resin to protect it from saliva. While the prototype is a pretty barebones system, the researchers say in actual deployment, it would also include a small Bluetooth radio to wirelessly transmit data to a nearby mobile phone for data analysis and oral activity recognition.
  • | Post Points: 95
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 255
Points 3,180
Jaybk26 replied on Sun, Jul 28 2013 2:35 PM

That. Is. Disgusting. That's bigger than the tooth! If a dentist ever puts one of these in me, there will be Hell to pay...

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Points 65

I agree this would not be very appealing to me....or most people everywhere.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,413
Points 46,555
ForumsAdministrator

What a novel idea - a tooth that rats you out!Surprise

SPAM-posters beware! ®

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,477
Points 53,915
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sun, Jul 28 2013 8:02 PM

I was thinking to myself, when I saw the pic above, "dang dude, floss that or get a tooth pick will ya!?" :)

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,436
Points 102,165
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, Jul 28 2013 10:11 PM

That would drive anybody nuts if it was in your mouth!

Just because you ~can~ build something, doesn't mean that you should,.......

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075
Kidbest100 replied on Sun, Jul 28 2013 11:48 PM

ugh, you guys ever get a blackberry seed stuck in your mouth? Or a piece of steak? Imagine that stuck like that for however long that thing stays in your mouth... It would be so annoying I think that I would begin debating in my mind re-enacting the famous scene from castaway, involving the pair of figure skates

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 35

"It was terribly dangerous to let your diet wander when you were in any public place or within range of a telescreen or a tooth. The smallest thing chewed could give you away. A nervous tic, an unconscious look of anxiety, a habit of muttering to yourself, a jaw spasm--anything that carried with it the suggestion of food, of having something to eat. In any case, to wear an improper expression of chewing on your teeth...; was itself a punishable offense. There was even a word for it in Newspeak: Toothcrime..."

- George Orwell, 1984, Book 1, Chapter 5

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Points 195

Orwell1984, I absolutely loved that book. 1984 was the first thing I thought of when I read the title of this article.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
MoHoman replied on Wed, Jul 31 2013 10:49 AM

Unbelievable! This is INSANITY to put non-stop radiofrequency microwave radiation from Bluetooth directly into the mouth.

Bluetooth operates at 2.45 GHz - the same as your MICROWAVE OVEN!

Please watch this video to see and hear the radiation that comes off from Bluetooth. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4RWGImXwGI

http://wiredchild.org/sciencealias/43-what-the-science-tells-us/67-what-the-science-tells-us-wireless-products.html

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
CJ Hoff replied on Wed, Jul 31 2013 1:38 PM

I agree that this is dangerous to the individual. There are now thousands of credible research studies that prove serious health damage (ie. brain barrier leaks, cancer, electric hypersensitivity, headaches, tinnitus, etc.). You can find many of these studies at: www.bioinitiative.org. To put a radiation producing device in your mouth is insane!

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS