Google Shutters Netflix Chromecast Promotion Due to Overwhelming Demand

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,817
Points 1,165,580
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Jul 26 2013 9:03 AM
Even the best, most finely-constructed plans can go wrong, it seems. And sometimes, having a good problem is still having a problem. Earlier in the week, Google introduced a $35 HDMI dongle known as Chromecast, which was meant to bring some elements of Chrome and other elements of alternative TV viewing to anyone's HDTV. For cheap. And perhaps the best deal of all was the fact that three months of Netflix service was included for free, and that even extended to existing users.

In other words, the Netflix service alone was nearly worth the price of admission, netting you the Chromecast dongle for free. Welp, evidently too many people noticed the deal, and now what was largely too good to be true actually is. Google has quickly ended the Netflix promotion with Chromecast, citing "overwhelming demand." In other words, it was likely that Google was on the hook for much of those free subscription fees, and it now isn't willing to pay up.

So, what happened? It's very possible that Google miscalculated the native demand for a $35 streaming stick, which is no shock. Roku's latest box can be had for $50, and the streaming space has been well-saturated for years. Google was entering late, and althought the Chromecast was cheap, it's still "just another streaming solution" in a lot of ways.

On one hand, it's great to see so much interest in this given the dismal uptake of Google TV. On the other, Google's going to certainly have to be more careful about what it tempts consumers with in the future.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 983
Points 9,085
sevags replied on Fri, Jul 26 2013 10:07 AM

this should just be a lesson on what to do in order to get consumer interest. Instead of creating chromecast Google should have focused these same efforts on googleTV such as reducing the size of most if not all googleTV boxes to the size of the chromecast, hand out 3 month Netflix trials, and offer versions that don't come with a remote for those opting to use an app to control the device in order to keep cost down.

Hopefully chromecast demand will fizzle out now that one of the best selling points is removed.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 11
Points 130

Am I the only one that doesn't understand these devices and their demand? I promise this is a legitimate question.

Most laptops come with an HDMI out nowadays, why not just hook it up to most TVs which have an HDMI in? Most TV's also have apps on them now too, why not use those? I have to be missing something here...

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Fri, Jul 26 2013 10:59 PM

JeremyHarris:

Am I the only one that doesn't understand these devices and their demand? I promise this is a legitimate question.

Most laptops come with an HDMI out nowadays, why not just hook it up to most TVs which have an HDMI in? Most TV's also have apps on them now too, why not use those? I have to be missing something here...

The sheeple man, the sheeple.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 55
JasonSmith replied on Sat, Jul 27 2013 10:51 AM

With 3 free months of netflix it's like your only payinf five bucksfor it.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30

plugging in a laptop every time you want to watch netflix or whatever else gets annoying.... plus you have to leave it open for people to trip over (in my experience). just read these don't support local media, can't see the worth of these past the free subscription.. ehh and they removed it.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 292
Points 3,055
Aoshi replied on Sat, Jul 27 2013 1:58 PM

It's still pretty nice for the price.  My Blu-ray player has netflix software installed but it isn't very good. Hell my Wii has better software for netflix!

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS