Google Updates Gmail, Now with Full Screen Composition

rated by 0 users
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,407
Points 1,192,845
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Jul 20 2013 1:26 AM
Google has been tinkering with Gmail’s look and features, and even after a major overhaul this spring, not everyone was satisfied, so even more changes are coming down the pike. Specifically, Google is tweaking the compose to give it a full-screen option.

It’s a welcome change. Currently, you must write your email messages in a window down off to the side of the screen, which doesn’t really make a lot of sense. With this update, the compose window will be centered, and you can expand it to be as large as your screen can handle. Google also says that the formatting toolbar is now on by default.

Gmail update that includes new full screen compose window

If you wish to make the full screen compose option automatic, you can do so by clicking the arrow (technically, the “More” menu) at the bottom right of the window by the trash can icon and selecting “Default to full-screen”.

Google is rolling the change out to users over the next couple of days.
  • | Post Points: 95
Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 100

This feature i like, especially if you're one writing long emails! ;)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

Sorry Google, but I am still going to give you a *** you. The old compose, you know, the one that changed the entire page into a compose was better. Give us that and let the four idiots that thought this was a good design choice, use this.

I am running all my gmail accounts on slow mode or wahtever it is called because hey, compose works the way it should there!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 627
Points 5,605
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Sat, Jul 20 2013 5:48 PM

Dear Google: When I hit Shift + R, I'd like my Reply to pop-out into a new window like it ALWAYS has (with keyboard shortcuts enabled), not settle itself in the bottom right-hand corner. Just ugh. Aside from that, I'm loving the new Gmail.

Next up, I'd like to see text formatting added to the mobile version, and not to mention an option to disable conversation view.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,694
Points 104,420
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sat, Jul 20 2013 7:51 PM

I don't like what they're doing to GMAIL.

If it works, don't "fix" it.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 50
Points 400

realneil: Try Mayhem's solution-it's actually the option for dial up or slow connections, Basic HTML.

If you want, try playing around in settings. Here's Google's help page: https://support.google.com/mail/?hl=en

Here's a more advanced guide, not sure how old it is: http://www.makeuseof.com/pages/beyond-the-inbox-the-power-user-guide-to-gmail

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
rajoan replied on Sun, Jul 21 2013 3:37 PM

google update their gmail.com now any body use their system very easy.i like gmail.com . thank u

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 654
Points 5,945
mhenriday replied on Mon, Jul 22 2013 5:35 AM

I'm still using the old Gmail compose window GUI without having to use basic HTML ; works fine on my account. However, I do see certain advantages in the new GUI and if one can now adjust compose screen size and position to suit one's needs, I may very well try it again. Sounds to me like the Gmail team has taken into account those of us who have voted with our feet - or index fingers - and gone back to the old GUI after trying the new one and decided the latter needed improvement. If so, kudos to the team for listening to users !...

Henri

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 654
Points 5,945
mhenriday replied on Mon, Jul 22 2013 5:37 AM

I'm still using the old Gmail compose window GUI without having to use basic HTML ; works fine on my account. However, I do see certain advantages in the new GUI and if one can now adjust compose screen size and position to suit one's needs, I may very well try it again. Sounds to me like the Gmail team has taken into account those of us who have voted with our feet - or index fingers - and gone back to the old GUI after trying the new one and decided the latter needed improvement. If so, kudos to the team for listening to users !...

Henri

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS