Shortcuts

Nintendo CEO: 90 Percent of New Gamers Unable to Finish Level 1-1 in Original Super Mario Bros

rated by 0 users
This post has 105 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,926
Points 1,118,185
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, Jul 5 2013 2:53 PM
Update 7/10: It has been brought to our attention that the source reference site's report for this story was actually based on a satire, not based on facts.  Rather than pulling the story down, we're alerting you to the fact that we were mislead (as were others). However, we will pose the question that seems to be driving a lot of debate: are games getting easier just for the sake of quick-fix game play?

During a Q&A at Nintendo’s recent shareholder’s meeting, Nintendo President and CEO Satoru Iwata said several things that are alternately painful, amazing, and sad in response to a question from a stockholder about how games seem to be getting easier, and how that may be contributing to the Wii U’s lackluster sales.

First of all, Iwata agreed that games have gotten easier, and he affirmed that the trend could be a reason that interest in the Wii U hasn’t been as strong as it could be. Still, he defended the company’s strategy for making games easier by revealing the results of gamer testing that Nintendo has conducted that demonstrates gamers’ decreasing ability to do well in games.

Wii U Controllers In Action

“It may come as a shock to some of you that most gamers today cannot finish the original Super Mario Brothers game on the Famicom,” he said. “We have conducted this test over the past few years to see how difficult we should make our games and have found that the number of people unable to finish the first level is steadily increasing.”

At this point, a whopping 90% of participants couldn’t finish the level. (We presume that means they used up their few available lives before having to restart the game.)

He also noted that most didn’t understand basic game mechanics such as the run button, or that coins are to be collected and aren’t enemies, or the concept of a bottomless pit. About 70% died at the first enemy, and half of those died at that same spot twice. (Twice! At the hands [or lack thereof] of the first Goomba!)

Super Mario Brothers Level 1-1
Watch out for those tricky, impossible-to-kill Goombas (Credit: TalesofGaming)

Participants said that they wanted the game to be easier, and that Mario should perhaps start the game with a sword or a gun. Some didn’t even realize that Super Mario Bros was an actual vintage game.

If we can put on our old fart hats for a moment: What on earth is wrong with kids today? Mario was a famously tough game to beat, for sure--saying that you beat Mario was a legitimate boast among the neighborhood youths--but not being able to finish off the first level is ridiculous, and suggesting that the game should be made easier instead of begging to try the level again is offensive to our sensibilities. (Now if someone would hand us a handkerchief to wipe the soup off our chins, we’d appreciate it.)

All joking aside, that’s a sad state of affairs for the gaming community in general and Nintendo specifically. Iwata, to his credit, sounds just as downcast about it as everyone else.

“As a stockholder, you should be relieved to know that our games are easier in order to attract a wider audience,” he told the crowd. “As a gamer, you might feel a little sad, and you should be. It is quite sad.” Indeed.
  • | Post Points: 1475
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30

noobz

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,341
Points 48,460
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Fri, Jul 5 2013 3:32 PM

I don't buy it.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 78
Points 660

Seems too weird to be true.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Theres no ****in way thats true unless your sampling people under 18.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,042
Points 11,385
Joel H replied on Fri, Jul 5 2013 3:37 PM

Hrm....

No, I think I do. I'm just not sure it means what he thinks it means.

Think about it. The first time you brought up a Nintendo, you died on World 1-1. Maybe you died to that Goomba. Because if you didn't read the instruction manual and just dived into the game, you have to figure everything out from scratch.

So you walk into the Goomba, die.

Next round, you try some buttons. One button doesn't seem to do anything. The other makes you jump.

You try to jump on the Goomba, misjudge, die.

Next round, you try to jump over the Goomba, hit a brick, die. But now you know the bricks explode.

New game.

"If bricks explode, I must be supposed to jump *into* Question bricks."

Hey! Something came out -- ***, the Goomba!

*die*

Etc.

Also, if you aren't familiar with the concept of points, you might wonder what collecting power-ups is for. SMB was written in a very different era, and it borrows conceits from that time period. You get points for breaking stuff. You get points for picking up random objects. But if you've only played modern games that don't use points or power ups, you have to learn that from scratch.

I expect people who have never played a side-scrolling platformer to suck at it. The bigger question is, how many people can't beat World 1-1 after 30-40 minutes of practice?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 113
Points 795

Games being too hard for people to play making the sales of the Wii U Stagnant?

More like, they gave us a console with the power of the last generation of consoles...What's good enough to run a simple Mario game isn't good enough to run a graphically intense game...

(Iwata) Don't try telling us that we're dumb and that's why your console isn't selling... Sounds the other way around to me.

And by the way...

I've beaten the original Super Mario Brothers... several times, and SMB : The Lost Levels on Super Mario All Stars for SNES...

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15

Christian Magee some andre stuff haha

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Joel H is absolutely spot on. I first played this game as a 3or4 year old around '87. It was the first video game I ever played. If youve never played it before it takes some learning but even after 30-40 minutes I could even beat the first level.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Lol guess 2 buttons and a cross pad throws a wrech into their gears

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

lol how level 1-1 is sooo easy! you can speed run that thing and stay itty bitty the whole time :P

Not Ranked
Posts 45
Points 355

"new gamers"

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 102
Points 810

that old stuff is HARD.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 45

It's been heading that way for a long while now, not sure why they seem surprised. Gamers today are all about instant gratification and have no pride in a lengthy, troublesome accomplishment. I'd look to blame the investors looking for returns instead of the developers trying to make something good and worth while. Again, games used to come out every few years and they would be GREAT, have vast improvements.. it was around the same time releases became 'yearly releases' where the dumb down of in depth games went to the wayside.

Look what we can do! --VS-- Look how much money this makes in x days! These days the latter always wins, always.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
ALash replied on Fri, Jul 5 2013 4:07 PM

Old gamers can! B|

Hell i've played Mario for years! B|

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 55

I've never felt so old.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 55

I've never felt so old.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,042
Points 11,385
Joel H replied on Fri, Jul 5 2013 6:14 PM

*shakes head*

This isn't about games being easy, it's about what people *expect* when they start a game. Let me give you an example.

Imagine you had never played anything but Super Mario brothers or other 2D, side-scrolling games. Then you sit down to Call of Duty.

"What? Look around? I don't even...woah. WOAH. I'm dizzy."

"There's more than one gun? How do I -- which one am I supposed to use?"

"Where's my power-up bar?"

"What's a saved game?"

"I can go BACKWARDS?"  

"Why can't I see behind me all the time?"

And on, and on, and on.

It's not about "good" vs. "bad." It's just a question of what you're familiar with and what you aren't.

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Points 100

The article says they did a study, maybe 90% of new gamers are not able to complete 1-1 because they have steadily decreased the difficulty level of games. If games stayed as hard as they used to people would adapt and actually try and think and try and solve the conundrums poised by these games. I grew up playing mario on my super nintendo, it was always so fun that i could play for hours, now days ill be lucky if i can sit through 5 minutes of some of these newer games just because of how boring they become.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,484
Points 53,990
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Fri, Jul 5 2013 7:37 PM

Hahah! So true but my son can still kick my ass with a couple of those stupid thumbsticks.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625

Yea it seems to me that kids are getting better and better at video games not worse and worse.

Take League of Legends for example i have 3 younger brothers who have logged around 500 hours each on that game alone and they have played WOW and Starcraft over 100+ hours not to mention the diablo series....

This is really a flawed experiment/conclusion. older games aren't as familliar as newer games. i play mario or i did and if i started playing again i would probably die in the first level. it takes a while to remember the timing you learned.

Nintendo obviously hasn't been successful with their make game simpler strategy and it actually hurts their market. i have always played the games my brothers and those around me have played. in fact one core tenet of modern gaming is the ability to multiplayer and or discuss the outcome of a game with your friends and family. that's what makes a game truly addicting when everyone you know is playing it and they are each constantly trying to one up the other.

Its almost impossible to maintain unless you have a game that has depth and advancement opportunity static games die faster than evolving games. hence the major success of an MMORPG,

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

Are they sampling people who have never played games before, ever, is that it? Are they sampling people that are incapable of learning. I remember when I started playing games and when I first started playing SMB, I sucked. I died a lot even in the first level and still will, but you get the hang of the mechanics and you learn to use them to your advantage.

All that said, I am terrible at platformers.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Well to those people sayin that it is a matter of being familiar with a genre: I am 15years old, and grew up with WoW; LoL, uncountable single-player RPGs and cs (prefer 1.6 ;))

2years ago a friend pressed a Gameboy advance in my Hand and said "Try it". i got hooked the first minute, and i think the first time loosing all my lives was around 2-2 - while never having played either mario or on a handheld.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,071
Points 37,990
acarzt replied on Sat, Jul 6 2013 12:01 PM

I can see this... especially if they had people playing that had never even played the original or ANY of the early Mario side-scrollers. The goomba could be presumed to be a non threatening NPC. Most games these days don't go right into the "action" and have some kind of tutorial. A lot of assumptions could be made based on how todays games are played. Most of todays games will only let you go where you're meant to go and won't let you fall to your death.

Core i7 920|EVGA X58|GTX 660 TI & 460se for PHYSX|2x30GB Vertex RAID0|5x1.5TB RAID5

-- Certifications --

CompTIA A+; CompTIA Network+ ; CompTIA Security+; Microsoft Certified Professional(MCP); Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator(MCSA); Microsoft Certified Sysems Engineer(MCSE); Certified Wireless Network Administrator (CWNA); Certified Wireless Security Professional (CWSP); Aruba Certified Mobility Associate (ACMA);

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Sat, Jul 6 2013 12:13 PM

I honestly don't remember how far I got the first time I played SMB but I do remember me and my buddy were trying to see how fast we could beat the game after a couple of months. Battletoads and Contra were tougher games and in both cases there were guns. SMB was different because of that but after you got used to it the game was easy.

Not Ranked
Posts 82
Points 635

I think Joel H said it best.

Also I think we have the memories of beating the games after we got good. I'm sure as kids most of us took a few rounds to get the hang of it.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

I cry bullshit. My kids (6, 5, and 4) can all finish at least until world 5-1 of the original Super Mario game. Hell, my son's first time playing the game, he got to 1-3 on his own. I say that statement by Iwata is pure and utter bullshit.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Don't make these games easy. I've been looking all over for games that were as good as the old nintendo games, and it's no wonder that many of those old games are still enjoyable and purchasable from the wii u e shop. Games used to have enough challenge that you won't beat them 4 hours after you start playing them or just 2 days in. Remember Solomon's Key, Final Fantasy III, games on NES took days and days to beat, I remember when I got my sega genesis I would worry that leaving it on overnight to keep my game loaded would break my console but I left it on for weekends sometimes weeks just to keep the content loaded, and that was the good days when games weren't easy to beat. I like having to entirely restart a difficult game or go back to a save point more than a dozen times to beat a hard level more than a game that's so easy a 5 year old could take turns beating it with me.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

http://www.p4rgaming.com/majority-of-gamers-today-cant-finish-level-1-in-super-mario-bros/

Protip: don't steal articles from satire sites.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

*suggesting that the game should be made easier instead of begging to try the level again is offensive to our sensibilities*

I fully agree with this statement

and its the same reason I jump to the defense of games like Dark Souls where people who to put it bluntly suck at the game are crying for a easy mode

I am fully against this mass production of games that hold your hand and make it almost impossible for you to fail

when did gamer's get soo lazy that they would rather have a easy version of a game rather than take the time to learn how to play the game and learn from their mistakes

its insulting to us older hardcore gamer's that such people have soo much control over the industry today

hell we have Driving games that play themselves, RPG's with automatic battle systems, FPS games where you can run around with a sniper rifle and one hit kill everyone what the hell happened?

where is the challenge? where is the sense of achievement when you beat something that you've been stuck on for months...

the simple truth is that its not that games are difficult

its just that most new age gamer's are rubbish at them and complain about the difficulty instead of learning how to play

I will applaud any game studio that stands up and says well its your fault for sucking at the game not ours for making it too hard

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Hard Mode - For the non pussies in gaming -_-

But seriously, there's a line between a game being hard, and a game being cheap. The original Super Mario Bros. was hard yes, but it was balanced. The challenge and reward of real gaming is overcoming those difficulties and in the classic days, in a limited run. We had no save points, we barely could afford strategy guides. All we had were our thumbs and our whit, and that is part of what is missing in gaming today.

We're too reliant on the fact that we just want the game to hand us the ending or tell us what to do without actually using our brain or our skills of deduction to try to figure it out. If the game asks us to try, we call it work. If the game doesn't, we call it too easy. When game mechanics actually work, a lot of what you are supposed to do can be learned over time...this time to learn is part of what enhanced the gaming experience in the first place. When done correctly, the accomplishment is nothing short of ecstasy...that is...if the entire challenge wasn't annoying to begin with.

If sections like Level 1-1 in Super Mario Bros is too hard for a poll where 90% say it is, then all the more importance for a Hard mode. Seriously, games are too easy now and it seems like nowadays it takes an Open World experience or a convoluted RPG with an absurd difficulty curve (FF13 I'm looking at you), or actually being cheep, to get 40+ hours. That shouldn't be the case.

Lets make better games people :)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

By God, A Link to the Past, for example, is a game that is as hard as balls. But it's a good game because its so hard. The reward for beating it is that you feel like a boss afterwards. I AM THE MASTER COMMANDER!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Rather than making games easier for these dumb fucks to understand, they should have done humanity a favour and snapped their necks so they couldn't pass on their retard genes to another generation.

Gotta say, we really need to think of a way to re-incorporate natural selection into everyday life. :/

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 40

I can't either! I am so used to the 3rd dimension of of most game's now!

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 40

I can't either! I am so used to the 3rd dimension of of most game's now!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

How did Nintendo, of all people, manage to find participants for this study who quote: "didn’t even realize that Super Mario Bros was an actual vintage game. " ?

Not Ranked
Posts 45
Points 355

._.

Not Ranked
Posts 45
Points 355

._.

Not Ranked