AOC Q29630 29" UltraWide IPS LED Monitor Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,886
Points 1,173,720
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, Jul 2 2013 12:28 PM

AOC Q29630 29Ask any person who owns a dual-monitor setup and they'll all tell you they couldn't fathom going back to a single display. Maybe you're one of those people, and if so, you know exactly the feeling we're talking about. But what if you could enjoy all the benefits of a dual-monitor configuration from a single monitor? Would you be game to reclaiming some desk space by trading in two panels for a single display?

AOC aims to answer that question with its new 29-inch Q2963PM display. Armed with an UltraWide In-Plane Switching (IPS) panel, this LED-backlit monitor boasts a 2560x1080 resolution with 21:9 aspect ratio, providing viewers with an extra-long panoramic view...

AOC Q29630 29" UltraWide IPS LED Monitor Review

• | Post Points: 215
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 754
Points 8,520
LBowen replied on Tue, Jul 2 2013 4:15 PM

*Drools* Too much want.

"I have the power!!"

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 12
Points 60

i would just want a few of those

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,577
Points 103,230
MembershipAdministrator

A $400.00 is not too shabby. I'd love to get one of them.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 272
Points 2,170
karanm replied on Tue, Jul 2 2013 9:01 PM

Love the fact that it is an IPS panel, definitely want atleast one!!

Not Ranked
Posts 54
Points 495
zybch replied on Tue, Jul 2 2013 11:27 PM

I purchased on of these about 6 weeks ago and have been nothing but pleased.

From the matte finish on the screen to the plethora of inputs its almost the perfect monitor.

Gaming is great also, as pretty much all modern games offer resolutions based upon what the video driver tells the game it can run.

And to not have any more letterboxing on movies is fantastic. Bitching about the lack of a rotate feature is simply asinine, there is NO conceivable way anything with such an aspect ratio would be useful in portrait mode and simply isn't something that any real user would have a use for.

A USB hub would have been nice, but its really no great loss, and unless EVERY other screen had this there is no way this should be considered a negative.

Given the connectivity options, a remote would have been a great addition like my 2 Asus 27" panels do.

And as for the speakers, they should have been dropped from the design from the start.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 209
Points 2,185

Asinine, eh? Don't tell that to NEC -- the company's 29-inch EA294WMi UltraWide (2560x1080) display rotates into portrait mode just fine. So does the Philips 298P4QJEB, another UltraWide display with a 2560x1080 resolution.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

I would love to play Visual Pinball full screen on this, too bad it doesn't rotate. Sorry to be so asinine about it!

Not Ranked
Posts 54
Points 495
zybch replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 7:56 PM

Whoop dee doo. What is the point of the rotation other than to add another check on the spec list? Its simply a stupid feature on this ratio of screen. You'd be far better off with a 32" display (no rotation required) or to just grow up.

Also remember, that these other screens cost close to twice the amount for pretty much no differences that are worthwhile.

Not Ranked
Posts 20
Points 100

I want this for gaming but this would cost too much!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 209
Points 2,185

There are quite a few scenarios where portrait mode could come in handy. To name just a few: photography, specialized gaming (pinball, as has been pointed out by another reader), certain CAD work, reading through long documents (productivity), and programming/debugging all immediately come to mind. One could even argue the benefits of investing in multiple monitors (as AOC is quick to promote), in portrait mode, if it was supported.

I understand you don't personally have a need for the feature, and that's great, because as pointed out in the review, there's a lot to like about the display. However, it's just plain wrong to discredit the feature altogether in a professional panel.

Not Ranked
Posts 15
Points 125

I have been reading that these type of 29" monitors are not for everyone. I use MarkView imaging software for work and I need to be able to view both the images and another app side-by-side. I think this will be a great monitor for the amount of real estate space it gives. I have a 24" Dell but not sure if buying this will complement the current Dell monitor I have. If HotHardware is saying that this monitor is good for gaming that I would give this monitor a second look as a future investment.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15

why still x1080 and not a higher resolution?

Not Ranked
Posts 35
Points 235

Nice looking screen. I have got to put my system back on two screens again. I have 2 extra screens collecting dust.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 35

Awesome read, when I have the money I'm definitely upgrading. Would make for a great dual display, and one hell of a panoramic view when playing games. All the built in features and the solid hardware in it seem to be the icing on the cake.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 55
seuli replied on Sat, Jul 20 2013 3:25 PM

I just want to ply game on the full screen. It is the best for playing game. I use this monitor. It's great, because as remarked out in the review.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30

think the IPS 30 inch off of monoprice that is a korean brand is the best monitor in the 30" screen size range

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20

This is a nice looking monitor and the specs are great, but Newegg doesn't carry it and others as well....

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS