Gamer's Headset Claims To Let You Overclock Your Brain

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,115
Points 1,184,315
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Jul 1 2013 1:24 PM

In case it wasn't so obvious before, the Sydney Morning Herald would like to inform you that strapping a device to your head with the intent of hitting your brain with a surge of electricity is probably a bad idea. We can tell you that it's definitely stupid.

The quick article makes no mention of brand, but the headset is en route and is targeted at gamers. It's probably not difficult to guess why - "Overclock your brain using transcranial Direct Current Stimulation to increase the plasticity of your brain. Make your synapses fire faster."

Gamer's Headset Claims To Let You Overclock Your Brain

Sheesh, the fact that such a device exists at all is a bit foolish. Gamers have been known to go great lengths to improve their technique and performance, but most settle on a different set of peripherals, not messing with their body. While this device very-well could cause no damage, the long-term side-effects are unknown, though similar medical procedures are used to treat depression. However, that's of course under the guidance of a doctor - the user simply doesn't take it upon themselves to buy an off-the-shelf device and try their luck.

Professor Colleen Loo from the University of New South Wales put it well; "It's a bit like having an accelerator and brake in a car, neither is bad and both are very useful but applying them judiciously at the right time and in the right context is absolutely essential. I think stimulation of yourself with do-it-yourself kits is potentially quite dangerous."

How much would it cost to potentially screw yourself up with this device? A mere $249. Almost seems like a steal.

• | Post Points: 170
Not Ranked
Posts 84
Points 775
timaeus replied on Mon, Jul 1 2013 1:34 PM

Sweet! I always wanted to know what it was like to have a seizure!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

This is not a good idea...

However, our brains are REALLY, SUPER powerful. Think of it as a CPU. We have millions upon millions of cores, but the cores aren't very powerful, and they run fairly slow. Some researches think around 400mHz.

They apparently tested it on chimps, where they scanned their brain activity beforehand, and took note of other things including different lobe activity, and stuff like that.

Then, they delivered mild electric shocks to different areas of the chimps' brain, and then retook the tests.

Some of the chimps showed no improvement, while others had a slight increase in mathematical problem solving, puzzle solving, and response times. They said in temporarily for a very short period of time affected some of the chimps' abilities, but the effects wore off quickly.

Although the general idea might sound kind of cool, it is also REALLY stupid, and unsafe to do.

I think we have FAR too much ground to cover in the medical and science field before we can start to do this kind of crap XD

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,102
Points 38,250
acarzt replied on Mon, Jul 1 2013 4:14 PM

"increase the plasticity of your brain"

Brain Plasticity is the ability to reorganize and adjust how the brain functions, usually in the case of bodily injury....

Like this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrULrWRlGBA

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

CLEAR - - - - THUMP - - - Ah now I can respond .0000000000255% faster... Heh that should do the trick

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 616
Points 5,535
ForumsAdministrator

I've always been of the belief that my brain is undervolted, so this might do the trick.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 187
Points 2,015

Maybe it's just me, but electroshock therapy doesn't seem like the kind of thing I want to try at home.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,379
Points 31,040
rrplay replied on Mon, Jul 1 2013 6:24 PM

mmm... I wonder if it has the potential to revive some 'drain bamaged' brain cells ?  sorta give them a

"Don't Panic ! 'cause HH got's your back!"

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

How long before they get sued to ***?

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 25

going to have to get some better cooling before i overclock my brain!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 358
Points 2,565

I wonder what other body parts will science be able find can be overclocked in the future?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 616
Points 5,535
ForumsAdministrator

ROFL! Do we want an answer to that?

Not Ranked
Posts 82
Points 635

LOL I cant even believe someone would put this thing one for the sole purpose of gaming. Risk vs rewards right?

And the potential lawsuits!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 541
Points 4,510
ajm531 replied on Wed, Jul 3 2013 12:14 AM

i Mean as mentioned it is used for legit reasons. Darpa and the many facets of the army use this to have their troops learn new languages faster and they also use it on fighter plane pilots. So as how its implemented compared to this DIY kit and others is a whole nother story that i couldnt explain.

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS