Is SLI worth it for gaming?

rated by 0 users
This post has 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 80
JenniferSnow Posted: Sat, Jun 29 2013 11:56 AM

I have not been impressed with the usefulness of SLI for gaming, in fact, about the only real use I can see for having two video cards is if you have multiple monitors. Many of the games I play are not properly set up to take advantage of SLI, and some of them actually run WORSE and choke when I have my SLI enabled.

Is it better just to have one really good card rather than two?

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 65

In my opinion single GPU is just a better option but putting two lower end card in SLI is just way more bang for the buck, 2 760 outperform a 780 in a lot of places but the reality of it is SLI can only scale so well and not everything supports it, i run 2 GTX 295 and i notice a good chuck of extra performance but in some games having the extra card doesn't improve any thing. so i would recommend a single GPU solution when possible.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 120
Steveox replied on Tue, Jul 9 2013 8:37 AM

I  myself was quite curious on what other people thought about the same subject.. Two cards vs One better card?  It's just about time to shop around for a new card and I'm on the fence on whether to go for the two medium classed cards or the one upper classed?  

Hope to hear some more feedback on the subject here :)

Ox

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 30
mperkins37 replied on Wed, Jul 17 2013 11:48 PM

Would love a peppier Vid card for ,y MacPro...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Fri, Jul 26 2013 3:09 AM

Steveox:

I  myself was quite curious on what other people thought about the same subject.. Two cards vs One better card?  It's just about time to shop around for a new card and I'm on the fence on whether to go for the two medium classed cards or the one upper classed?  

Hope to hear some more feedback on the subject here :)

Ox

Definitely go with one upper class card if you haven't decided yet. I personally think about it this way. I would rather get one really good card now so when the next series launches and I don't want pay the new card premium I can get a second card discounted and get close or better the performance. That and it give Nvidia or AMD a chance to fix bugs in their drivers related to SLI or Crossfire that will be there on day 1.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Not Ranked
Posts 25
Points 200

The more cards you have , the more you have to trust the game devs to support SLI or Crossfire. Top of the line for current gen, based on the current trend, only goes down by about one card in the next line-up performance-wise; however, it's a lot cheaper than the next gen. I have to agree with Clixxer. A 680 SC or FTW is the same as a 770. SLI 680's? Might as well wait for 600 line price-drops.

From personal experience on the subject matter, I have two EVGA 670 SC 4GB cards in SLI that run everything DELICIOUSLY. I originally got the one card because of low price and a good deal (thank you newegg). Instead of saving for one of the super cards or waiting for next gen, I just got another one. They are about on par with a base 780 when I overclock them... which is pretty much always. The only bottleneck I have is my 8350 for crisis 3 keeping me from maxed out settings with more than 45 fps. The only game the GPU's don't seem to like is FC3 (I blame Uplay). If you have the funds and get lucky, shoot for the 780 ACX. I don't know what you currently have, though.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 : AMD FX 8350 @ 4.3Ghz : Corsair XMS 32GB @ 1600Mhz : 2-way SLI EVGA SC 4GB 670 : CM HAF 932 Blue Full Tower : Assorted HDD and SSD : FANS and MOAR FANS

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS