Microsoft Fakes It At E3: Shows Xbox One Games Running on Windows 7 PCs

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,208
Points 1,187,070
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, Jun 16 2013 1:18 PM

At last week's E3, Microsoft COO Peter Moore claimed that Xbox One games being shown-off at the show were running on real development kits - however, thanks to a Windows PC crash, that was later found to be untrue. Yes, "Windows PC".

When handed an Xbox One gamepad to play some game, the last thing you're likely to wonder is if you're playing on the real console - why would you think otherwise? Well, below, you can see undeniable proof that there were no consoles at all. The games that people were playing were running on HP Windows PC equipped with one of NVIDIA's latest GeForce 700 series graphics cards.

There are a couple take-away points here. While it's not totally uncommon for early development phases to take place on the PC, the fact that Microsoft was showing off actual Xbox One content on a PC this late in the game is strange. And does that mean that Microsoft could run Xbox One games on a Windows PC if it wanted to, negating the need for a console entirely? It's unfortunate that the photographer who took the above picture wasn't able to see what icons were on the desktop - that could prove pretty interesting. Even if the games people were allowed to play were PC versions, there's something to be said about Microsoft using far more powerful hardware than what its console will have to show the games off.

What this incident gives hope to is the fact that the Xbox One gamepad will likely support Windows. As a devout Xbox controller user, I'm glad to see this.

With this going down, and all of the other flak-worthy moves by Microsoft lately, Sony has got to be having itself a good laugh.

• | Post Points: 215
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

Very poor journalism.

1. It's not strange at all for devs/publishers to show off content on PC's prior to a console launch. This is completely standard. Epic showed off Gears of War on PC's prior to the 360 launch, and when the game actually shipped it looked/performed better.

2. Sony sowed off PS4 demos which were also running off PC.

3. Not *all* X1 games shown were running on PC, in fact most were running on X1 hardware, including (but not limited to) Killer Instinct, Ryse, Fantasia, and more.

This article is very improperly misleading. Very, very poor journalism.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,072
Points 11,625
Joel H replied on Sun, Jun 16 2013 2:24 PM

1.) It's not strange for a game developer to show content on a PC. It's stranger for Microsoft to show games on PCs when the event is all about the Xbox One.

It's even *stranger* that the systems were running Windows 7 and using a GeForce as opposed to Windows 8 and a Radeon.

2). [Citation Needed].

3.) [Citation Needed].

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 35
JEngel replied on Sun, Jun 16 2013 2:36 PM

Smooth

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 20

Not defending Microsoft or anything, but weren't the Xbone dev kits just AMD PCs with a modified BIOS?

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 35

they do that every yr. nothing new.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,072
Points 11,625
Joel H replied on Sun, Jun 16 2013 3:18 PM

I'm more surprised by the NV hardware and OS than anything else. And with launch five months away, I genuinely would've expected working silicon.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,072
Points 11,625
Joel H replied on Sun, Jun 16 2013 3:18 PM

I'm more surprised by the NV hardware and OS than anything else. And with launch five months away, I genuinely would've expected working silicon.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 113
Points 795

Using GTX Titan GPUs as well... lmao

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 96
Points 985
KOwen replied on Sun, Jun 16 2013 3:50 PM

If the system isn't fully ready for prime time that's understandable, but don't lie about it to the press and not expect to have egg on ur face later when they find out. I'm still not inspired to buy either console thus far. I'd rather pay 400 bucks for a new GPU in a year or so.

Not Ranked
Posts 25
Points 120

AMD APU based console with a GTX 770-780 running it on the floor? Not sure what to expect when launch day comes.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 523
Points 4,200
RiCoFrost replied on Sun, Jun 16 2013 7:04 PM

Come on guys your headlines are really getting bad.

Michael Wilford, Studio Director of Twisted Pixel Games, said the hardware running his game at the show was the decision of his company, not Microsoft. Wilford also told Jonathan Blow to blow it out his ass for criticizing the hardware his team is using to demo the game. So, what we have here is simply a matter of a developer that chose to run his game on hardware / software of his choice.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,599
Points 54,995
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sun, Jun 16 2013 8:26 PM

Rico, appreciate sharing your insight and perspective but you're generalizing that our "headlines are getting bad?" Are you saying that you're taking issue with other headlines beyond this one? :)

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 523
Points 4,200
RiCoFrost replied on Mon, Jun 17 2013 12:44 AM

Don't get me wrong I like coming to this site for reviews and I know it makes good headlines to over dramatize things however its media propaganda like this that turns me off the site.

Not Ranked
Posts 49
Points 395

misleading, i have higher expectations from hothardware . I didn't knew you were in the tabloid sort of media

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,599
Points 54,995
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Mon, Jun 17 2013 11:01 AM

Sorry you guys feel that way and say what you will, they didn't even run the games on the graphics architecture. Look at the picture above again where it says "Xbox One" above a screen with the game controller sitting on the desktop and then tell me what's "misleading." So, John Q Public is supposed to understand these are just future Xbox One games being shown here and not the hardware? It's a launch event?

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 620
Points 5,570
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Mon, Jun 17 2013 1:50 PM

I didn't expect this sort of response, but I agree with Dave here completely. When you go to play an Xbox One game, you sure don't expect it to be a PC you're playing it on, especially less than six months from console launch.

If it just happened to be this one developer that decided to use a PC, then the headline is in fact incorrect (towards MIcrosoft). The source article didn't mention any of this.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,913
Points 24,635
digitaldd replied on Tue, Jun 18 2013 8:23 AM

I recall that for the Xbox360 launch the game demos were running on Power Mac G5's.

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS