Dell's Haswell-Infused Alienware X51 R2 Small Form Factor Game PC Reviewed

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,907
Points 1,117,710
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Jun 13 2013 12:15 PM
Things aren't always what they appear to be, and so it is with Dell's Alienware X51 R2, a small form factor (SFF) gaming PC in console digs. It's shaped similar to Microsoft's Xbox 360 Slim, and though it's slightly larger than either a 360 or PlayStation 3, the X51 R2 would be right at home in a living room setting nestled next to a large screen TV. Indeed, it's adept at running Steam's Big Picture mode, and if your primary objective is to play games in the living room, go ahead and consider the X51 R2 a hybrid game console.

We know from our autopsy that the X51 R2's internal organs are decidedly PC, just like the original X51 that Dell beamed into our lab last year. The R2 model we're dissecting here today is evolved with Haswell DNA, the codename for Intel's 4th Generation of Core processors. It also has 16GB of speedy DDR3 1600MHz memory, an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 graphics card, and a Micron RealSSD 256GB solid state drive (SSD) all working in tandem to, uh, serve man (or woman, as the case may be), only without a chilling plot twist. Here's a look at the full monty...

• | Post Points: 95
Not Ranked
Posts 45
Points 330
Diggity0 replied on Fri, Jun 14 2013 9:23 PM

I don't remember that Twilight Zone episode but I do remember the Simpsons episode where they spoof it.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Very clear information :)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

I'd like to see a liquid cooled M-itx build.These are the future, I think the days of ATX And M-ATX are numbered. Who needs multiply PCI-e when you have a Titan and HD7990 and high quality on-board sound. Ethernet, WiFi etc. This unit will be very loud when playing games at Ultra, that is the spoiler you got to get the heat oil and liquid is he most best way

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 35
alinutzu0 replied on Thu, Jun 27 2013 9:43 PM

nice grades in benchmarks

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 40

I'm fine. I don't need and overpriced piece of crap when I can build one better than that, cheaper.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

I have often wondered if these systems were worth the price tag. I have usually shied away from micro systems in favor of full size gaming rigs.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS