Dell XPS 18 Portable All-In-One Desktop Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,195
Points 1,186,480
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, Jun 6 2013 11:33 AM
Dell has chosen to combine two trending computing design styles into a single system and call it the XPS 18 Portable All-In-One Desktop. It has all the power of a an entry level desktop and some of the portability of a tablet, though let's be clear that Dell isn't pitching you'll want to tote this across town on a train or in other ways that you might use an iPad or Nexus 7. It's portable in the sense that you can snatch up the 18.4-inch Full HD display and lug it from your home office to the living room, plop it on the table, and switch gears from Google Docs to gaming with the kids. Or take it bed for some late night surfing before drifting off to sleep.

You can dock the display on your desk with the included stand or carry it around. At around 5 pounds, it's heavier than a traditional tablet, though it's also much bigger and obviously more powerful. Mixing these two form factors is an interesting concept, but does it work in a design this large? Let's have a look...

• | Post Points: 80
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

if only it had a hdmi input it would have made much more sense ie plug ps3 or xbox 360 or mhl device in to it and play solving a lot of the headache of having an extra screen just to play a console game.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,594
Points 54,955
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sat, Jun 8 2013 4:44 PM

That would definitely make the machine all the more versatile.  A mini-HDMI in would work fine too.  Just hook up a converter and you're good to go.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Note that on the Dell website, as you're moving through the customization of an XPS, in the "Home Solutions" section, a Belkin USB 3.0 to HDMI adapter is listed ( along with other adapters ); in addition to other devices.

Of course, a built in would have been nice, too...

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20

Seriously? Your only comment is it's lack of HDMI IN? An 18.5" HD display with an HDMI input can be bought at your local big box retailer for around $150, but you would rather buy a thousand dollar computer system to use as "dumb" monitor, and would not buy it because it lacks that capability?

Is there really a market for thousand dollar, battery-powered, HD displays?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,594
Points 54,955
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Sun, Jun 9 2013 3:27 PM

Ken, the comment was that it would "add' to the utility of the device as an all-in-one media center, beyond just computing etc.

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Not Ranked
Posts 13
Points 95

"18.4" Full HD 1080p (1920x1080) 16:9; IPS panel"

I am sold on the fact that it has an IPS panel.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 517
Points 4,155
RiCoFrost replied on Thu, Aug 21 2014 7:24 PM

This is the first all in one i would get for my wife. I like it, I think i will look in to this one.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS