How I Fell (Back) In Love With the Desktop PC

rated by 0 users
This post has 6 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,878
Points 1,116,680
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Mon, Jun 3 2013 1:28 PM
True confession: Until recently, I never owned a desktop PC. My parents had one when I was in high school that I used (primarily to email girls), but once I hit college, it was laptops all the way. I always needed to have a mobile machine to work on, hopping from class, to a job, to the library, to another job, and back to the dorm, so a desktop never made sense. Besides, who had space in a cramped dorm room for a bulky tower and monitor combo anyway?

Even when I entered the tech industry, I worked in an office setting where we used notebooks connected to external monitors instead of desktops, and the only actual desktop PCs I used were builds I put together to test hardware in the lab.

Fast forward a few years, and I'm now in the pantheon of lucky SOBs that work from home. When you work from home, the entire house is your office, which makes having a lappie that much more magical. (Edit product photos in bed while Monday Night Football is on in the background? Don't mind if I do!)

However, over the months I began to notice something: I started using the desktop(s) down in my test lab more than my laptop. Much more...

• | Post Points: 80
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,735
Points 40,310

I feel im going to go down this path as well. Since college started i haven't touched my desktop. Like you i believe having a desktop in your dorm is a waste of space.Even when im home for breaks i haven't touched my desktop. Maybe one day i will be using a desktop again but not in the way you rediscovered desktops i guess xD.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15
ScottDrew replied on Thu, Jun 27 2013 9:10 PM

im the opposite, i love my desktops but have never owned a laptop. Their so fun to build and play around with

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 45

I've always been a desktop guy and never really saw the use for laptops.  From what I've seen in college, the only real benefit a laptop had over a desktop was that you could take it to your local Starbucks.  To me, desktops have always been the best bang for my buck in terms of performance at the cost of mobility.  Now with smartphone and tablet advancement, laptops are becoming even more obsolete.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
Schpweeno replied on Sun, Jun 30 2013 6:45 AM

When I came to University I had the choice between a laptop or a desktop, and I chose a laptop - which is something I regret, mostly because I didn't realise how much free time I would actually have to do the things I enjoy (playing computer games). Now when I do that on my laptop it tends to get very hot, which is a great annoyance.

However, one of the main things I love about having a laptop is the mobility, as I'm currently sitting in bed relaxing on this lazy Sunday afternoon. 

Perhaps one day I'll have the money for a desktop and be able to enjoy the pros of owning both.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Points 35
RAKATIKA replied on Mon, Jul 29 2013 8:14 PM

I only ever use my laptop for work and even then it's not very frequent.

Not Ranked
Posts 71
Points 580
Jun replied on Tue, Jul 30 2013 1:47 AM

I was under the impression that laptops and desktop's gap in power was closing. I went ahead and got a laptop. Sigh... Wish I has just built one back then, but I am now too poor to afford another computer.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS