Intel Core i7-4770K Review: Haswell Has Landed

rated by 0 users
This post has 14 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,807
Points 1,164,600
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, Jun 1 2013 11:02 AM
If you've been hanging around these parts and are like most self-respecting geeks, you've likely been feeling the build-up of Haswell for quite some time.  Intel has disclosed lots of information on their latest processor technologies, from its 22nm 3D Tri-Gate transistors, to its beefed-up integrated graphics core.  Sure, there's marketing hype and press releases but at some point you've got to have execution -- and today is all about execution for Intel.

Intel is officially launching Haswell today, their 4th Generation Core processor technology for the desktop market, with a follow-on release of dual core and mobile Haswell offerings coming up quickly on June 3rd.  Haswell marks a number of firsts for Intel, including leading-edge technologies like on-chip voltage regulators, eDRAM, and their first graphics engine that fully supports the DX11.1 specification and OpenGL 4.0.  With these new features alone, Haswell is primed to offer significant performance and feature enhancements, the likes of which should appeal first and foremost to mainstream consumers; but there's also plenty brought to the table for the performance enthusiast here as well.
  • | Post Points: 170
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Points 70
RCone replied on Sat, Jun 1 2013 1:04 PM

Looks like you could use this CPU as a room heater. Yikes!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,356
Points 48,595
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Sat, Jun 1 2013 1:15 PM

What makes you say that? A full system under load barely pulled over 100w.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 50

Ill stay on budget pc im not really more on heavy work loads :v

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

This looks like a very worthy successor to Ivy Bridge for sure, however I was expecting (And so was everyone else I can safely say at this point) to get a little more juice out of this TOCK level CPU.

It's still a freaking wonderful thing, but I'm just a little sad we didn't see much more raw performance gains.

Oh well, it's still amazing, and I certainly would not mind getting a rig built with this as its heart, no sign of that happening ever though :P

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,695
JDiaz replied on Sun, Jun 2 2013 6:08 PM

Intel is mainly pushing Haswell for better mobile solutions and this review is of the desktop chip!

Features like the Iris Pro GMA 5100/5200 will only be available for the mobile versions and support for the full range of S0ix power states will only be supported on the mobile chips for maximum battery life potential.

So expect more bang for your buck with tablets, hybrids, and laptops that use Haswel than the desktop/server versions...

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,093
Points 38,115
acarzt replied on Wed, Jun 12 2013 12:13 PM

I'm building a Haswell based computer right now! I just got all my parts yesterday!

I'll be replacing the computer in my sig.

Intel Core i7 4770k

2x 120GB Kingston HyperX 3K SSDs in a RAID 0 (Atto bench results show 1.1GB+ read AND write speeds)

2x 4GB G. Skill DDR3 2400Mhz 10-12-12-31 timings

ASRock x87 Extreme6 MB

Corsair TX850M psu

4x 1.5TB HDD in a raid 10

A lite-on Blu-Ray drive

I will be moving my 660 Ti over to do a couple ot benches to see what improvements the new system has over my last one with the same GPU. I want to wait for the 760 Ti to come out to see how it performs, but if I get impatient, I might just buy a 770.

The system is already assembled except for the 4x 1.5TB drives and I haven't moved the 660ti over yet. I'm on igp right now. i also decided to go with Windows 8. I like it so far, but it is taking a little getting used to.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 30

Nice review, Marco and Dave. Very good information. I have to get a new PC for work and school. Plan on building one, and trying to decide the CPU.

Not Ranked
Posts 16
Points 80

Lmao XD

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15
N4nd0 replied on Fri, Jul 26 2013 7:28 PM

I still have my 980x, no reason to change yet.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10
Anusha replied on Fri, Jul 26 2013 8:11 PM

just because it runs at a high temperature doesn't mean it heats more than the previous CPUs. in fact, it doesn't. it only runs at a high temp because the heat spreader isn't soldered to the die. there is a bad heat transfer medium betweem them: the thermal paste.

Not Ranked
Posts 25
Points 200
Tyotukovei replied on Sat, Jul 27 2013 12:31 AM

I came into computer building a firm believer in AMD... mainly due to my lack of funds (what with being a teenager with a part-time job). Still a lack of funds, but the more time I invest into looking at benchmarks and reviews, the more Intel looks like the leader of the pack. How this might change in the future with them investing so much less in the desktop side of things and pursuing the mobile market I don't know, but I plan on Intel being part of my next build. The 8350 is only so good, and with more and more programs taking full advantage of all 8 cores, it's getting better and better... if I was rendering and doing more soft work. Thanks for this very informative review. I look forward to Intel's next "TICK" for desktops.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 : AMD FX 8350 @ 4.3Ghz : Corsair XMS 32GB @ 1600Mhz : 2-way SLI EVGA SC 4GB 670 : CM HAF 932 Blue Full Tower : Assorted HDD and SSD : FANS and MOAR FANS

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 88
Points 590

Dying to get this proc, I have the Asus Z87 Sabertooth still NIB

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 88
Points 590

Ive have this Asus Z87 Sabertooth sitting here for so long waiting to put this 4770K, the board is still new in the box, just cant afford to get a proc, haha. Maybe one day

Not Ranked
Posts 63
Points 425

It's probably not worth upgrading to this from a Core i7-3770k yeah? I think I'll save up for the next generation of Intel cpu

PSN: d367ruc70

Steam/Origin: d367ruc70

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS