Jacked-Up: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 SC with ACX Cooling Reviewed

This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,800
Points 1,212,885
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, May 28 2013 2:36 PM
We’re only a few days removed from the launch of the new GeForce GTX 780 and one of NVIDIA’s key add-in board partners is already set to release a custom version of the card with higher clock speeds and enhanced cooling. The EVGA GeForce GTX 780 SuperClocked Edition with ACX cooling we’ll be showing you here today, takes what’s already a killer graphics card and tweaks it in a number of ways, to not only improve gaming and thermal performance, but to do so quietly, and with potentially better reliability as well.

ACX is an acronym for "Active Cooling Extreme." It is EVGA's latest custom air-cooling solution targeted at the high-performance market. It’s debuting with EVGA's GeForce GTX 780 SC, but we suspect it’ll be offered on some future products as well. Regardless, the EVGA GeForce GTX 780 SC with ACX cooling is here now and believe us when we say, you’ll want to see what this card can do on the pages ahead.

• | Post Points: 125
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 187
Points 1,755
lipe123 replied on Tue, May 28 2013 2:49 PM

In EVGA we trust!

Honestly though it's getting kind of ridiculous how expensive pc gaming is getting. I wish there was a bigger drive for some kind of software revamp that will allow games to run better with lower end hardware.

Ps. "Quite Cooling" , I think you meant quiet ;)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,368
Points 48,745
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Marco C replied on Tue, May 28 2013 3:13 PM

You are correct, sir! :) Fixed. Thanks for the head's up.

Marco Chiappetta
Managing Editor @ HotHardware.com

Follow Marco on Twitter

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 636
Points 5,710
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Tue, May 28 2013 4:04 PM

To be honest, I don't see how the landscape has really changed in this regard. There's always been expensive GPUs for those who want them, and lesser-expensive ones alike. I'd actually say things are way better today than 5 - 8 years ago. Years ago, I always felt inclined to buy $500+ GPUs, but today, $200 - $250 offerings are -so- powerful, they're totally suitable for most gamers. Those running higher than 1080p resolutions, multi-monitor or desire the highest possible detail settings are the ones who will need to shell out more.

"Although its GK110 GPU has fewer active CUDA cores and texture units than a GeForce GTX Titan, the EVGA GeForce GTX 780 SC with ACX cooling's higher clocks allowed it to overtake the Titan's performance more often than not."

Enough said. Damn! Great review, Marco.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

yep. got a chub now.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
Jay223 replied on Tue, May 28 2013 10:25 PM

"Years ago, I always felt inclined to buy $500+ GPUs, but today, $200 - $250 offerings are -so- powerful, they're totally suitable for most gamers. Those running higher than 1080p resolutions, multi-monitor or desire the highest possible detail settings are the ones who will need to shell out more."

I was happily running a gtx590 Classified from Evga for two years, but since I upgraded my monitor to 2560x1440 the old dog is struggling really bad. Playing a bunch of combat flight sims that eat up a lot of video memory is not helping either.

While at 1080p most console ported games run ok on cheaper cards, I think most modern games, made for PC, will need a more powerful card this days.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
ajsvboards replied on Tue, May 28 2013 10:39 PM

Great review, just ordered on Newegg after cancelling on Amazon for a different card, this is clearly the one to get. Also thanks for the power info, I'm running a 650 and was wondering if I would be a problem and knowing the adapters are included is a plus as well. I game, but I also work as a video editor, I can actually do renders at home with this thing, that many cuda cores allows Adobe CS to render 3D and HD at near pro system levels, amazing for the price. Currently I have a GTX 660 at home and was amazed at the performance for a $200 card, Metro Last night looked great on it, interested to see the difference with the 780 for myself.

Not Ranked
Posts 25
Points 200
Tyotukovei replied on Fri, Jul 26 2013 11:16 PM

I'm glad I read this benchmark. I am super excited for when I get my 780's... if I ever have the funds for such a thing. But I'm even more excited for the sweeps that just went up including a 7990 in the build. I guess you have to take AMD seriously too. Awesome review. It's also good to know that my 1200i won't be needing a replacement till it dies.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 : AMD FX 8350 @ 4.3Ghz : Corsair XMS 32GB @ 1600Mhz : 2-way SLI EVGA SC 4GB 670 : CM HAF 932 Blue Full Tower : Assorted HDD and SSD : FANS and MOAR FANS

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15
avari replied on Fri, Jul 26 2013 11:40 PM

very informative review, I will be using this to help decide my next purchase

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 20

Wow, that is a beautiful card! I don't know if it is worth me spending that amount of money though, unless I had extra money laying around! $659 is allot to spend on a card, especially since I spend half that on two MSI Twin Frozr Hawk Edition 6870's! They have great performance for half the price and am very happy with the temps I am getting from them! I am running Mac OS X 10.8.4 and Windows 8 with them. I can play games on both Operating Systems!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 10

I can't wait for my paycheck, this particular graphics card seems like the perfect card for my ultimate gaming pc that I will be going to make! :)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 114
Points 1,000
nfs3freak replied on Mon, Jul 29 2013 8:29 PM

Awesome review! Thanks for this. I chose to purchase this gpu after reading this review yet forgot to give it credit.

LOVE this card. Totally does more damage than my GTX 570s in SLi previously.

PSN: d367ruc70

Steam/Origin: d367ruc70

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS