NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Review

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,877
Points 1,116,615
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, May 23 2013 9:59 AM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 ReviewWhen NVIDIA introduced the GeForce GTX Titan a few months back, the company created a huge gap in its single-GPU product line-up. With its GK110 GPU and massive 6GB frame buffer, the GeForce GTX Titan was easily able to outrun the GK104-based GeForce GTX 680 and it hung with the dual-GPU powered GeForce GTX 690 as well. That gap between the GeForce GTX 680 and GTX Titan could have potentially been filled by a scaled down GK110 with a smaller frame buffer, and in fact, one of the first questions we asked of NVIDIA during our briefing on Titan was if a more affordable version of the card was in the works, but company reps were expectedly mum at the time. It’s not like NVIDIA to comment on unannounced products, but we took a shot anyway.

NVIDIA’s talking now, though. Today marks the arrival of the GeForce GTX 780, a graphics card that is essentially a GeForce GTX Titan, with a scaled down GK110 GPU and a smaller, but still relatively large, 3GB compliment of video memory...

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Review

• | Post Points: 95
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 187
Points 2,015
Johnny3D replied on Thu, May 23 2013 4:28 PM

The 780 looks to be a pretty impressive card from all I've seen about it so far. However, it seems that the video card market is building cards that are extremely impressive, but increasingly expensive and out of the price range of a lot of gamers. Sure, they also released the 660 TI recently as well, but I think this push for $650-$1000 cards is going beyond excessive. I'd rather see them work on producing 670's and 680's at a lower cost so they could offer those cards at a reduced price and increase market saturation.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 72
Points 645
4L1G8R replied on Thu, May 23 2013 4:49 PM

Yeah, I'm not sure what's up with Nvidia. Seems they've been bit by Apple's glamour-tech bug. Or perhaps they are trying to boost console sales?

Seriously, we don't need more high-end cards, just fairer prices on the cheap ones. And there's no need for all the metal on these things, it just raises the cost for Nvidia and consumer. It gives very little if any value. Tech will become outdated, why bling it up?

Don't get me wrong, I love Nvidia's products. I just don't think they are headed down the right path with this.

Personally, I think they might be feeling a little bored because AMD's tech isn't keeping up. However, if they put this new tech against AMD's at the previous price-point, it would put AMD out of business, which wouldn't be good for anyone. So they decided to make them more expensive, since they have the room to work with...

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 5

This is their "high end" level of cards, the 680 when it first came out was 600+ dollars and now you can get one for 450, the opening price for something new is always higher. Assuming the scaling is the same, the 760 ti will be around 350-450 dollars and will outperform a 670. The price to performance ratio stays roughly the same, just more performance is more expensive

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,437
Points 102,170
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Thu, May 23 2013 10:47 PM

Heck of a nice card. It would be hard to let this card go after testing,.....

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
IanWalker replied on Sat, May 25 2013 12:54 AM

Hi I just bought a titan after testing a 7970 for my purposes. No i am not made of money - but i am quite keen to do certain things. One of which is gaming in stereoscopic 3d. Nvidia is the only option here. Another is to do GPGPU CUDA in double precision. Nvidia sucks at this unless you pay the big bucks for the dedicated GPU cards or buy a Titan. AMD with OpenCl is much more cost effective. MUCH. Both stink for producing stereoscopic 3d via say quadbuffered OpenGL. The Nvidia kit can actually do this but Nvidia actively prevents you from doing so because they want to force you to buy the high end quadras... In a nutshell - I want to play my FPS shooters in stereoscopic 3d, AND I want good CUDA/OpenCL double precision compute performance AND I want to be able to write my own stereoscopic 3d code (even script it say from mathematica) Nvidia is the closest to this, and their hardware can easily support it, yet they choose to nobble their drivers and such to force me to buy vastly more expensive hardware that may not do what I want anyway. Waugh! So frustrating! And to boil it right down - what can a GTX780 do? what is its DP floating point performance in CUDA? Can I do my own stereoscopic 3d code?

please help - I could find this out for myself (because nobody seems to be doing this or asking about it - or at least google is not my frend on this - wonder why?) but it is EXPENSIVE...

cheers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,437
Points 102,170
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, May 26 2013 10:27 AM

You could flash your card's BIOS to Quadra specs. Try google again, methods exist to do this already, but you could screw it up if you make a mistake.

Don't part with your illusions. When they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live.

(Mark Twain)

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 15

There's no rule that companies have to build their top end products at low enough cost for the majority of consumers. People always complain about the cost of high end / top of the line hardware. I'm not a rich guy at all so I get it to a limited extent. But at the same time, if you can't afford it / it's too pricey for you then get a lower end card. New mid range cards are still going to offer way better performance then previous gen in most cases. I'm sure there will be good performing 700 cards for less money, so everyone can stop crying about top end being so expensive, geez.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS