German Researchers Set 40Gb Per Second WiFi Network Speed Record

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,713
Points 1,208,475
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, May 19 2013 2:11 PM

At a time when some of us are finding our home Gigabit lines a bit constrictive comes some Germans from the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology to help make our setups feel even more inadequate. The folks there have created a Wi-Fi solution that uses "better hardware" along with a high radio frequency of 240GHz to produce a constant connection speed of 40Gbit/s (5GB/s) at a distance of about 0.6 miles (much further than the 20 or 30 feet inside of your house).

The ultra-high 240GHz frequency is required to push such heavy data, which at 40Gbit/s is about 293x faster than the theoretical maximum of 802.11n (140Mbit/s), and 47x faster than the current top-end 802.11ac (866Mbit/s). Oh - and it's also 6x faster than the future 802.11ad wireless standard (7Gbit/s). 

With a typing speed of 60 words-per-minute, ~2.5 Netflix-quality movies could be transferred over this connection in the time it took you to write a single word. You'd be able to download the beefy 30GB Max Payne 3 in a mere six seconds. If hard drives offered limitless performance, you'd be able to completely fill a 4TB drive in 13 minutes.

It's worth noting that even if we had access to a connection like this, our storage devices wouldn't be able to keep up. You'd theoretically need at least 10 top-quality SSDs in a RAID 0 configuration to make it happen. That seems a bit harsh on the pocketbook.

What this technology could deliver in the future is the ability to offer a high-speed connection to those in rural areas, where wired connections are just too expensive to deploy - especially fiber. Me? I'd just be happy with a home 10Gbit/s connection that didn't cost as much as a gaming PC, or more.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,756
Points 104,965
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, May 19 2013 8:19 PM

That's pretty Wazoo!

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 3,112
Points 38,335
acarzt replied on Mon, May 20 2013 9:46 AM

It's actually 40Gb/s not 40GB/s That is two very different speeds.

http://www.alphagalileo.org/ViewItem.aspx?ItemId=131234&CultureCode=en

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 634
Points 5,700
ForumsAdministrator
RWilliams replied on Mon, May 20 2013 11:31 AM

Ugh, come on, Discovery. I wish I had found the source first. I thought it sounded insane, but Discovery was clear as day with its comparisons (10 HD movies in 1 second = 4GB per movie. 10 HD movies within 40Gbit/s is impossible). Will edit the post to reflect this, thanks for noticing.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Uh, 95GHz radio has been weaponized. This sends at an even higher energy. How can we be sure that it's actually SAFE to be environmentally bombarded by wavelengths in the EHF band around the clock everywhere we go? I'd rather not develop cancer because people are too cheap to lay down a couple cables or invest in likely safer technologies, but hey, it's German guys, what is your prediction for today's match? Steps Germany (Jerman vs Portugal) has always stalled in the semi-finals at the last two world cups, and always ends up as a ratings-3. Cristiano Ronaldo is the all-time top scorers Portugal. The Real Madrid star has scored 49 goals in 110 appearances. If being able to score a goal in the prediksi portugal vs jerman World Cup 2014, Germany striker Miroslav Klose will be the top scorers of all time. Now Klose has recorded 68 goals in 131 League appearances together, equaled the record for Gerd Muller

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS