California Teen's Supercapacitor Invention Could Charge Cell Phones In 20 Seconds

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,345
Points 1,191,275
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sun, May 19 2013 12:16 PM
Batteries--specifically, their lack of longevity and long recharge cycles--have been one of the most annoying bottlenecks to mobile innovation, but a California teenager has developed a technology that could significantly relieve some of that burden. 18-year-old Eesha Kare developed a supercapacitor that could fit inside a battery and charge cell phones in 20 to 30 seconds instead of hours.

Further, it offers 10,000 charge/recharge cycles, which is a far cry from the 1,000 or so cycles that many rechargeable batteries have.

Eesha Kare
Eesha Kare (Image credit:  Intel Corp)

Kare’s supercapacitor won her a cool $50,000 scholarship award from the Intel Foundation Young Scientist contest. So far, she’s demonstrated the technology by powering an LED, but the potential applications are far more interesting. “"It is also flexible, so it can be used in rollup displays and clothing and fabric. It has a lot of different applications and advantages over batteries in that sense," she told NBC News.

Congratulations to Kare and the other award winners. We have a feeling these kids will be on tech companies’ radars for the next several years as they earn their degrees.
  • | Post Points: 110
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,686
Points 104,335
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Sun, May 19 2013 8:18 PM

Awesome! What a girl!

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Sun, May 19 2013 11:58 PM

Thats pretty awesome. Other than cell phones just imagine what this could do. Change the intention of cell phones to anything that needs to recharge with li-on batteries such as power tools, laptops, flashlights.

Cell phones would be great but since I just charge mine at night and it last the me the day but my dewalt 18v cordless tools which I have 4 batteries for this would be ideal. Instead of an hour charge to go get a drink of water and its ready to rock and roll.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 549
Points 5,015

Actually one of the big uses for this would be military lasers. Fast charge capacitors are very important for making one capble of cycling quickly.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
soulsk8er replied on Mon, May 20 2013 9:33 AM

Thank you for thinking out side the box/ or batt. You ROCK!!!!:-)

Not Ranked
Posts 72
Points 645
4L1G8R replied on Mon, May 20 2013 2:04 PM

Can't wait to see how this transforms the modern tech world.

I've been waiting for a breakthrough like this, as batteries are the boon/bane of all modern portable tech. If this technology is as good as it sounds, it should the electric cars, cell-phone usage, laptop usage, etc., etc.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

She's actually a couple of months behind the invention. How is that folk are not picking up on that? http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2013/03/the-super-supercapacitor/

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 501
Points 4,625
AKnudson replied on Thu, May 23 2013 12:07 AM

It can charge a battery in under a minute? how expensive are these to produce? i bet elon musk is looking into supercapacitors for his Tesla charging stations.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS