Google Glass Creeping Out Friends and Family, Gadget Etiquette A Must

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,733
Points 1,209,520
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, May 18 2013 2:43 PM

The verdict remains out on whether or not Google Glass is going to change our lives forever, but one thing's for certain: it's done a splendid job of drumming up lots of conversation. With its growing featureset, Glass has the capabilities of offering an unparalleled level of convenience to its wearers, but there's one side-effect feature that's not touted on the package: weirding out everyone around you.

At its developer conference held this past week, Google held four discussions about Glass - none of which tackled privacy or other risks that the product exposes. While it's clear that the company hasn't had much to say about the issues up to this point, it's not going to be able to avoid them forever. For what it's worth, Google's Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt did suggest that proper Glass etiquette would evolve over time.

Given the sheer lack of etiquette I take in whenever I'm out and about, I personally have a hard time believing that.

Allen Firstenberg, one of the attendees at Google's I/O conference, relayed an experience, "I had a friend and we're sitting at dinner and about 30 minutes into it she said, 'You know those things freak me out'" Can you blame her? Unlike a smartphone or camera, both of which are clearly obvious when they're being used, Glass can be recording at any moment, unbeknownst to anyone around you.

We live in an age where we're being monitored from every angle. At any given time, you could be visible by more than one camera. It sucks, but it's the reality of the world we live in. However, as uncomfortable as that is, I'd feel far more uncomfortable knowing that I, my family or my friends could be recorded by a regular Joe at any given time. The problem isn't simply winding up in someone's random video, but winding up in a video of someone who's not exactly the most honorable citizen.

As someone on the other side of the Glass, so to speak, I'm uncomfortable. I'd be uncomfortable as well if I were the one actually wearing it, because I'd feel like everyone around me would want to know what I'm up to. Clearly though, not everyone has had an issue wearing Glass. In another experience Firstenberg relayed, he walked into a public restroom not even realizing that he still had the gadget on his face.

With these issues, it's no wonder that Google Glass has been made fun of by some, and banned by others.

What are your thoughts on this whole Glass privacy debacle? Do you expect that we're just going to eventually accept the change it's bringing?

• | Post Points: 65
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,079
Points 9,985
sevags replied on Sat, May 18 2013 3:11 PM

I do fear that many of these things will be used purposely to invade peoples privacy but even more will be doing the same unintentionally. I have said before that I wouldn't feel comfortable with my best friend wearing them over to my house let alone strangers in public.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 25
JGaspardo replied on Sun, May 19 2013 12:14 AM

All the google class footage will probably be used by the government in some blanket wiretap to aid in when they institute martial law for the profit of the corporations. Signs of multinational corporate fascism include getting the *** kicked out of you and being made into a slave. Once you have boarded the ride please keep your hands, legs, and arms inside the bar's and if you have any lost rights please contact our suggestion box which is conviently in the oven we will be roasting you in. Enjoy the ride...

No Refunds....

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 567
Points 5,150

Just pack a little laser and keep it pointed at the Google Glass. Digital cameras don't work so well when being hit by even an ultra low power laser.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 93
Points 800
Shadizzle replied on Sun, May 19 2013 10:25 AM

Free mobile Surveillance for the upper hands~

NOT a fan of these personally...

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS