Valve Expands Support for Oculus Rift to Half-Life 2

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,723
Points 1,208,960
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Sat, May 11 2013 1:45 AM
Earlier this spring, Valve’s Joe Ludwig announced that the company’s Team Fortress 2 would support the Oculus Rift virtual reality headset. Now, Valve is expanding that support to Half Life 2, as well.

In a post on the Oculus Rift developer forums, Ludwig said that Valve “just shipped” a beta for Half-Life 2 that includes Oculus Rift support, and he added some simple instructions on how to get it. He noted that it wasn’t perfect yet by saying, “This port is a bit more raw than TF2 was when it shipped, so we would appreciate hearing about any bugs you find.”

Half-Life 2
Half-Life 2 (Image credit: Polygon)

Indeed, from his instructions and updates, it would seem that the beta is a mite shaky, but hey, that’s why it’s in beta, and that’s what a dev community is for. And to be clear--some Oculus forum posters seem confused--this isn’t some mod built by the Oculus Rift folks; these capabilities are being created by Valve. Polygon notes that this update brings support for SteamPipe, the Steam content distribution system.

Clearly, we have a ways to go before the Oculus Rift headset is tidied up and released into the wild and Valve finds a way to more seamlessly and smoothly create support in games for the virtual reality device, but the progress surely is exciting to watch.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 191
Points 2,050
Johnny3D replied on Sat, May 11 2013 11:20 AM

The more games that support the Oculus Rift, the better. I would really like to see this device go mainstream and support for it picked up by a LOT of games. One game in particular that I'm hoping to see support for it is Star Citizen.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

^YES!!! When I first saw this I thought of space battle games, and how freaking amazing they would be!

Hopefully we start to see native support for this on launch with popular games, that would certainly help.

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 1,016
Points 10,970
OSunday replied on Sun, May 12 2013 12:05 AM

Oh man this is sweet, the Oculus Rift picking up major titles is going to incentivize other companies to start supporting it as well.

I can't wait till this catches on mainstream.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS