MSI Radeon HD 7790 OC Edition: Mid-Range Graphics Explored

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,388
Points 1,192,405
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Fri, May 10 2013 2:37 PM
Just before the mid-range AMD Radeon HD 7790 hit store shelves in early April, NVIDIA countered with the GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST. NVIDIA’s move also involved pricing changes that were good for mid-range card shoppers, but what matters most is that the card NVIDIA managed to launch coincident with the Radeon HD 7790’s launch, offers better performance in most of our benchmarks. With the dust settling, all that’s left now is for the factory-overclocked cards to battle it out.

Asus and Sapphire have already taken a crack with their overclocked Radeon HD 7790s. Those cards definitely out-perform the stock-clocked Radeon HD 7790 we tested in March, but couldn’t always overcome the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti BOOST. Today, we’re looking at the MSI Radeon HD 7790 OC Edition (R7790-1GD5/OC)...

MSI Radeon HD 7790 OC Edition: Mid-Range Graphics Review

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Points 35

Not to belittle MSI and their card or anything, but these factory overclocked cards, in many cases, just don't offer enough increased performance to just the additional cost. Sure, they're great for people who don't want to tinker with their clock speeds, but it isn't like it is difficult to get a card with a nice, capable cooler and use an aftermarket tool to do the overclocking yourself. Or spend the same amount of cash, or a smidge more, and buy the next model card up instead. :)

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
slacking replied on Mon, May 13 2013 12:16 AM

FYI, I have this card and it overclocks to 1225 core clock, 1662 (6648 effective) memory clock with no problems. If you can manage to sell the two crappy games it comes with on Ebay, then this card is a steal.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Good review but hardly useful to the folk looking to spending $120-170 for two reasons…

It's inappropriate to assume "cards in this class" can run with such levels of graphic quality or even test 2560x resolution when isn't providing real world inference.  I mean none of the cards that logically fall into the competition of a 7790 are really providing good playable results on Ultra/AAx4/AFx16 settings (perhaps Metro, Batman).  Mostly the rest of the results aren’t telling folks much, they know they'll need/should "concede" on some settings.

Beside the settings, the CPU (i7 Hyper-Threading) and system, is far from what anyone envisioning stuffing a $120-170 card with.  Now almost every site testing video cards runs max system spec's so, not to have CPU bottle necks which is understandable. I can't chastise you that’s what most do, but between settings and system spec’s what you provide is nothing like what most buying this should ever intend to appreciate.  It would be far better for a site like yourselves' to start this review saying; we are going to test this "class" of cards with a modest, may I say normal system that folk looking at hardware of this level would be using. 

I've found only one other site that tested that way, and the outcome is quite surprising.  Your charts just communicate what every other reviewer shows, this "class of card" aren't capable of enthusiast level of eye-candy.  Although, you could be the one showing just a little tuning back on one or so settings can still provides an exhilarating experience with just "entry level box".  Buyers and the graphic card companies would rather have you revealing what can be done with a $120-170 card gaming than basically showing they perform as well as more expensive cards.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 8,689
Points 104,365
MembershipAdministrator
realneil replied on Tue, May 14 2013 7:14 PM

TheGamerTech:
Not to belittle MSI and their card or anything,

MSI is great.

A card that's OC'd by the factory still carries a warranty at the faster speeds. If ~you~ OC a card and fry it, it's not covered. I understand that a lot of us tweak our cards a little bit more than what they come set at.

Also, an OC'd card usually already has better than stock cooling on it.

Dogs are great judges of character, and if your dog doesn't like somebody being around, you shouldn't trust them.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS