World of Warcraft Losing Its Luster, 1.3 Million Users Lost in 2013 So Far

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 24,907
Points 1,117,710
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Thu, May 9 2013 10:58 AM
Activision Blizzard has been raking in the dough from its hugely successful subscription-based MMORPG game World of Warcraft for many years, but it appears as though the game is a just past it peak. According to the company’s Q1 2013 earnings report, the game lost 1.3 million subscribers in the last three months alone, dropping the game’s subscription numbers to 8.3 million subscribers. This follows the loss of about 1 million subscribers last summer.

The current losses primarily came from the East, meaning that the West is still very much in love with the game, but Activision Blizzard CEO Robert A. Kotick seems to accept the fact that it’s only a matter of time until WoW fizzles out; he also expects there to be fewer subscribers at the end of 2013 than there are now.

World of Warcraft
Credit: Us.battle.net

While pointing out that WoW “remains one of the most successful franchises in the history of entertainment”, Kotick said, “It's important to note that the nature of online games has changed, and with the environment becoming far more competitive, especially with free-to-play games. To address this, we're working to release new content more frequently to keep our players engaged longer and make it easier for lapsed players to come back into the game.”

The company definitely plans to put plenty of resources behind the game, which makes plenty of sense, as even though WoW’s demise is coming, it probably won’t come for many more years, and in that time Activision Blizzard can continue to milk that cash cow for all its worth.
  • | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 5,048
Points 60,675
3vi1 replied on Thu, May 9 2013 7:01 PM

D&D Neverwinter just went into open beta. It's a better game, IMHO.

What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

++++++++++++[>++++>+++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>+++.>++++++++++.-------------.+++.>---.>--.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 428
Points 3,530

I just quit wow, but i only lasted 5 days after my sub ran out. Tried Rift, Tear, Guild Wars 2 and SWTOR but none of them had what wow has. WOW is boring but its still better then whats out there. SWTOR was the 2nd best option but idk what it was... maybe my long term addiction to wow but i had to go back. Just wont be playing as much as before.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

I never really got into WOW, but then again it is mostly paid subscription, which I never had money for, and still don't XD

If I had the ability to give it a solid shot at being a good game for me, I definitely would have gave it one, but mreh. We move on.

It's pretty dang old now, and they are living off of only expansions... This is what Call of duty will look like one day

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Thu, May 9 2013 9:28 PM

After playing Meridian 59 and UO for years I lost my taste for subscription games. Now its FPS or FTP which I got a beta key to World of Warplanes and its pretty good so far.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

WOW is everything I hate in games (mindless grinding, boring quests, lame stories) constantly repeated.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Posts 17
Points 170
tjphelan1 replied on Fri, May 10 2013 8:13 AM

I succumb to the occasionally wow stints.  It usually happens once a year for a month or so.  I feel like most MMO's out there it's all the carrot on the stick.  Guild Wars 2 was at least prettier, but I still couldn't get into it.  Activision will have to keep evolving WoW to remain relevant   Eventually no carrot will be good enough to maintain its subscribers, just like I really do not think any new MMO will be able to copy it's success (I am looking at you Elder Scrolls).  The genre is not dead, but I will definitely say WoW will be the last successful subscription based MMO.  Sorry the post is so scatter brained.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5

Mindless grinding every week to never get loot is exactly what I want when I play games, awesome concept blizzard. Maybe if they spent more time increasing drop rates/quantities in lfr and raids more people would stick around instead of feel as if their time and money has been wasted.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS