HTC One Smartphone Review: Android Empowered

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 25,685
Points 1,155,890
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Wed, May 8 2013 12:00 PM
After some delays in manufacturing, the highly anticipated HTC One smartphone is officially here.  Although this high-end smartphone has not received the same amount of buzz as Samsung’s much-hyped Galaxy S 4, the One has many compelling features that will give Samsung some serious competition among savvy consumers.

The HTC One features a full-metal, zero-gap unibody design along with a number of software features that set the phone apart, including a new home screen with HTC BlinkFeed, and HTC BoomSound which combines front-facing stereo speakers with dedicated amplifiers and Beats Audio integration.

As the flagship smartphone in HTC’s line-up, the One features a 1.7GHz quad-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 processor along with 2GB of RAM. The phone is available in both 32GB and 64GB models, depending on your carrier.

This is HTC's answer to the Samsung Galaxy S 4, the iPhone 5 and any other high-end smartphone on the market currently.  Does it live up to its moniker?  Is it really "the One?"

HTC One Smartphone Review: Android Empowered

• | Post Points: 140
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 982
Points 9,080
sevags replied on Wed, May 8 2013 2:36 PM

The 2 points in the negative column are actually huge pluses for me and many others

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,537
Points 54,400
ForumsAdministrator
MembershipAdministrator
Dave_HH replied on Wed, May 8 2013 3:25 PM

no user replaceable battery and no SD card slot are pluses?

Editor In Chief
http://hothardware.com

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 152
Points 1,870

The lack of expandable storage is definitely a negative for me. I'm currently in the last couple months of a 3 year contract using the HTC Desire...yep, the original. I've got  32GB on the Desire, and I would like to see my next phone have more storage than my current one. I upgraded from 8GB to a 32GB micro sd card halfway through my contract.

I keep a lot of music and videos on my phone, and I like the idea that my phone will be future-proofed with a good amount of storage. Unfortunately, no Canadian carriers that I know of have the 64GB HTC one, and the lack of expandable storage is keeping me away from the 32GB version. I'm waiting a bit longer to see what else will be around this summer.

AMD Phenom II 955 BE @ 3.2Ghz - Gigabyte MA790X-UD4P - 4GB Corsair DDR2-1066

BFG GTX 260 - Creative Audigy 2 ZS - CM Cosmos S Case

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 346
Points 2,505

No memory card slot is a huge negative for me. That was the reason why I went with the Note 2 over the DNA.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 216
Points 2,135
SmogHog replied on Wed, May 8 2013 9:47 PM

It has no mico sd card slot but it does support USB OTG.

Some Android devices can act as a USB host, so that you can use USB devices attached to them.

Samsung's S and Note models plus the LG Optimus G Pro support USB OTG

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

This is a GREAT phone! speedy, effective, stylish... And there is a version in China or someplace that has a removable backplate that gives access to SD Cards and battery, but, thats way over in China. XD

This is an amazing phone on terms of build quality and stability, but I think the S4 definitely beats it in the other columns.

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

Call Bell. They offered it to me, but I have decided that my Optimus G is still fine (upgrade from another line).

The One is a killer phone. 32Gb is enough for me and the battery is large enough too. I upgrade before they die.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 982
Points 9,080
sevags replied on Fri, May 10 2013 9:59 PM

Dave_HH; correct.

A user replaceable battery is ONLY a good thing is someone plans to actually purchase a spare battery and use it something I have never ever done and will never do but it lowers the overall build quality, physical strength of the device, and will just always pop off every time I drop it.

An SD card slot would also not be used by most people including myself (there is enough internal storage) and will just be a slot that either collects dust or has an ugly/flimsy slot cover.

So yes the HTC One is perfect without those 2 features.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 510
Points 4,700

Wow I completely missed this.

I actually own a One and it is by far the best phone I have ever used. Plus the thing just feels amazing. By far the highest build quality you will ever find in a phone, even compared to Apple (wife has a 5).

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
MellDiner replied on Thu, Aug 29 2013 4:22 PM

This site sells really cheap smartphones: smartphonedirect.mybigcommerce.com/. I got my 4s from them.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS