Windows Blue To Be Officially Shown In June

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 26,190
Points 1,186,110
ForumsAdministrator
News Posted: Tue, May 7 2013 8:38 PM
It's official: Windows Blue is real, and it's coming soon. For weeks now, Windows 8.1 (Blue) has been rumored and talked about, and now Microsoft has confirmed that there is indeed a major version of Windows about to grace us. Julie Larson-Green, Corporate Vice President for Windows, has just announced that Microsoft's BUILD event will be where Blue launches -- a public preview will be shown for the first time.

The event, which happens at the end of June, will show off features from Blue, which OEMs are hoping paints a clearer, less confusing picture for consumers. It's not clear yet when Blue will hit shelves, but if it's ready to be shown off, surely that date will follow suit shortly.
  • | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 187
Points 2,015

I hope that they have achieved a more keyboard/mouse focused interface and in the process do not set the price tag too high.

I think I would be willing to upgrade from Win7 at $40.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Wed, May 8 2013 6:21 PM

Well considering this is being dubbed 8.1, I would think you would have to spend more to upgrade from Windows 7 vs Windows 8. If its good then ill be switching over my desktop and hoping since I bought a Windows 8 Pro key that it will be cheap to upgrade it.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 354
Points 3,075

Well, maybe if it fails horribly, we might be able to keep hoping for a windows 7 service pack update... That would be nice.

PC Specs:

• AMD Athlon 64 x2 6400+  Cooled by a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus (push-pull)
  • 2GB DDR2
  • MSI Radeon HD 6450 2GB
  • Stock Dell motherboard
  • 250Gb HDD
  • XFX Pro Core edition 650W PSU
  • Stock Dell inspiron case

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 619
Points 5,260

This should be free for win8 users.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Thu, May 9 2013 12:35 AM

MayhemMatthew:

This should be free for win8 users.

I agree but you know it will never happen.

My rig - I7-4770K, ASUS Z87-A Mobo, 16 GB Corsair Ram, AMD 7990 GPU, CoolIT AiO Cooler, NZXT H630

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 309
Points 2,695
JDiaz replied on Thu, May 9 2013 3:00 PM

Here's another way of looking at it... basically, getting a upgrade/update in just the first year is literally unheard of for Windows... Service Packs usually don't change much besides accumulating and simplifying all security and bug fixes up to the point the SP is released and they still usually take up to two years before being released.

So factor the accelerated pace of having the equivalent number of changes being made to say what would normally be covered by at least two Service Pack Releases and around a 3 year time span to just one year is not something even MS can offer without significant cost...

So it's unlikely to be free, but like Apple's annual updates/upgrades it shouldn't cost much to existing users either. And they do plan on releasing these annually!

Of course it depends on how good the changes will be but if it does address most of the issues with Windows 8 then a small fee for the quick fix would be a acceptable trade off for many who would otherwise have to wait a couple of years for such a fix to come out...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 730
Points 5,865
Clixxer replied on Thu, May 9 2013 4:15 PM

JDiaz:

Here's another way of looking at it... basically, getting a upgrade/update in just the first year is literally unheard of for Windows... Service Packs usually don't change much besides accumulating and simplifying all security and bug fixes up to the point the SP is released and they still usually take up to two years before being released.

So factor the accelerated pace of having the equivalent number of changes being made to say what would normally be covered by at least two Service Pack Releases and around a 3 year time span to just one year is not something even MS can offer without significant cost...

So it's unlikely to be free, but like Apple's annual updates/upgrades it shouldn't cost much to existing users either. And they do plan on releasing these annually!

Of course it depends on how good the changes will be but if it does address most of the issues with Windows 8 then a small fee for the quick fix would be a acceptable trade off for many who would otherwise have to wait a couple of years for such a fix to come out...

I agree with you but you can't compare service packs to upgrades. Microsoft is doing something new for Windows 8 that they never did with another operating system. I do agree though that Microsoft is in the right to charge a small fee for existing Windows 8 users to upgrade but service packs have always been free so it is comparing apples to oranges.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS